The Blacklist: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I am really enjoying this show. There have been some really interesting twists, although I kind of hate that they've been telegraphing that Redd is Lizzie's dad from almost the jump. Have I missed something though? I think I've seen every episode, and I can't figure out why Redd is so insistent that Lizzie's husband is not to be trusted.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, the jury's still out on the husband. They sort of established that he was being set up with all that stuff under the floor board and now they're portraying him as the dutiful and neglected hubby but I still sense that there's a big twist ahead. I'm slightly confused with the mole business because my attention was a little split. Nuts how he just put four slugs in her right there in the armchair.

• Members

And who is that woman who came in to do the clean up, and where have I seen her before? Does she work for the FBI too? Or was she that lady's (Jane Alexander) secretary? I know I was supposed to be shocked to see her, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where I saw her before.

Yeah. The whole hubby thing is intriguing. Clearly he's being set up again. That woman he's "cheating" with had a full dossier on him.

• Members

That lady's codename is Mr. something, I forget. She's Red's right hand man, she's a pro at erasing all evidence at crime scenes and she cleans up all of Red's messes. We saw her last season when Red "loaned her out" to Lizzie when she busted the spy across the street.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

^ The character's name is Mr. Kaplan.

I love the show. Well I love James Spader and I can't imagine what this would have been like had they cast Kiefer Sutherland in the role of Red.

I think they do a decent mix of procedural and serial, but I am starting to feel that they almost have too many open threads hanging out there, but they finally did reveal the mole, which is one thread closed out but it does raise other questions.

The weak part, I'm not sure how I feel about Megan Boone. I know she's a green actress so hopefully as the series progresses, she continues to improve and they make her a little more steely. I know there have been comparisons between the relationship between Red/Lizzie to Hannibal/Clarice from Silence of the Lambs. I think the thing I'm not entirely happy with in terms of Boone is that she doesn't really "look" intelligent, if that makes sense. Jodie Foster even at a very young age had an intelligence around her on screen persona. It's almost like they go out of their way to try and make Boone prettier and sexy in a sense and I just don't think that fits her role on the show.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't know, the wig, the mascara they glump on. The thing I have a problem is her being a profiler in particular, who is supposed to be someone who I expect is a little more intellectual, introverted in a way. She just comes across awestruck too much to be believable in that kind of role. Now maybe when what her husband is up to comes up she will wise up, but this show is really all Spader and it suffers if he's not involved in the "capture of the week" more actively and they have to rely on the rest of the cast. Maybe it's why they've brought on stronger caliber talent in the guest starting roles. Alan Alda, Jane Alexander, Campbell Scott, Jennifer Ehle, Dianne Weist being some who have all been used I assume to raise the caliber of talent on the show. And I like Parminder Nagra and think they should use her more also, but maybe that's more a personal preference than anything..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I am pissed. I loved that Lizzie broke hubby's thumb after he was so cocky and told her she didn't have it in her. But of course it turns out it was a stupid thing to do and he was goading her into it since breaking his thumb allowed him to escape from the hand cuffs. This is straight from Ron Carlivati's book of how to drag things out.

Hubby talking about the time he knew he had her was sad, but Lizzie was so pathetic.

• 5 months later...

Archived