Prospect Park Sues ABC Over ‘One Life To Live’ & ‘All My Children’ Licensing Agreement

• Members

It shared storylines and scripts. But other soaps didn't--I don't think Young Dr Malone did, and I don't think The Brighter Day did (though I could be wrong there.) GL they would do the radio airing, and use it sorta as a rehearsal and then take the same scripts, move studios and do the tv airing.

Anyway tha'ts neither here nor there. I do agree that keeping the characters between both shows would be a nightmare--I thought they wanted Star 9and John?) only on for a few weeks? Todd prob woulda been more of an issue.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well as was just mentioned by someone else, it is not as if that is something without precedent. I don't see even a single thing dumb about it, what harm it would cause either show, or how it even would impact either show to be honest. Knots Landing had Bobby Ewing dead. Dallas had Bobby Ewing in a shower. No one got confused and stopped watching either show because of the status of Bobby on the other.

• Members

Yeah I think they kept it that way until 1956 when it stopped on the radio. I did find an episode from 1954 I believe that was on youtube and I found the radio version--the main change was lack of narration by the announcer on tv, obviously I guess. It always seemed weird to me that other TV versions of radio soaps *would* be kinda alternate universe versions. It looks like Brighter Day did the same, but Young Dr Malone was a vastly different version even though it ran on radio and TV together for a year and a half.

• Members

Yes, I definitely agree there.

re Dallas and Knots--to be fair it was only in the first two seasons (I think) that they had the crossovers, partly to help Knots which was fairly low rated. David Jacobs himself said that Knots quickly had a different feel so that larger than life characters like JR felt out of place when they visited.

I think PP were hoping to use it as a way of feeding their audiences--not necessarily a longer term thing. You know--like Melrose did with 90210 or, for that matter, Knots to an extent--early on get viewers to follow one character from one to the other. But I do agree that it would have been hard to pull off longer than that. Of course they have Todd, but now since he's not Todd on GH it kinda ruins their plans, even if they always just sorta seemed to have assumed it would work. I still say though that's irrelevant to the actual legal case :P

Archived