Soapnet's "50 years in 50 hours" GH marathon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry, but those Luke & Laura wedding episodes did nothing for me. A lot of poor writing and acting going on there. It really shows that sometimes things get bigger and popular based on pure luck and being in the right place at the right time, IMO.

I'm actually most captivated by the 90's episodes we've seen so far. Maybe it's because that's when I started watching.

• Members

I just don't think 80's GH is for me. The show was clearly of its time during that era, and feels very cheesy and dated upon retrospective viewing. I can see how it would be the pinnacle for some for nostalgia purposes, but I just don't think it's that entertaining or has much universal resonance anymore.

It actually makes me respect Wendy Riche even more and the transformation she carried out in the 90's. She might have only really gotten 4 really good years at best overall, IMO, out of her tenure, but her era has a certain soul that's severely lacking from the 80's output I've seen. GH may not have been the "hip" soap in the 90's that it was in the early to mid 80's, but it had a certain authenticity that's mostly pretty timeless, IMO.

• Members

Yes! I totally agree, and feel the same about 80's Days.

The supercouple, action adventure era is just not for me. I find it very cheesy and lacking any real depth or character. I just dont like it, on any soap ive seen it on. The 90's were much better for both Days and GH, i feel.

I agree about WRs GH too, the authenticity and timeless feel. I think a lot of her stuff could go up next to classic 60's and 70s soaps and fit right in.

• Members

Rewatching some of the stuff with Karen, Jason, Brenda and the Rhonda/Ray molestation story reminds me of why I'm really not pressed about the youth stories on the new AMC and OLTL. As long as they're good and told well with decent young actors, they work. That's a rule of soaps that's as old as the hills.

Archived