Sharon (Y&R) Spoiler

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In a way, chicklit, I agree. It is better than saying "Sharon had a tumor!" and calling it a day. Nevertheless, I feel like any mental diagnosis cheats everyone, and especially Sharon, out of a good, long, gradual redemption arc.

• Members

Exactly! People can talk about a six month break for the character, but how is that really fair to Sharon Case? I'm not the biggest fan of Sharon Newman, but she has been built as one of the shows major characters for years. They took her too far down the road to crazy to turn back now. They have to go all the way and then try to bring her back, imo. I hope they do this story responsibly, but I do think it's a good way to go.

• Members

Yeah, I am not sure Sharon being bi polar can exccuse all the cray cray stuff she has been doing, she still knows right from wrong and is responsible for her actions ie burning down the ranch, but alas its a soap after all LOL!

• Members

At least if this was GH, it would be revealed that Sharon's alternate personality Karen has been taking over for years and doing all those awful things. She first got this after Cassie's father raped her and he would come to town with her twin who he's manipulated into hating Sharon

• Members

Like other illnesses on soaps (let me make this clear however, bi-polar disorder is NOT a "mental illness"), I question if this will have any long-term impact on Sharon's character.

They can't just tell us Sharon has bi-polar disorder, show us one consultation with a doctor, prescribe some medication, and call it a day. It has to be fully ingrained into Sharon's character and her day to day behaviour/routine.

Are they prepared to follow through with this? I'm skeptical.

• Members

There's a ton of debate on classification, it's a pretty controversial issue. NAMI isn't the be all and end all for classification. The causes of bi-polar disorder are still being debated within the medical community.

As long as it isn't too severe, those with bi-polar disorder can live functional lives. I know a lot of those suffering with it don't think of themselves as mentally challenged.

Archived