Y&R: November 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The way they handled the cuts spoke volumes. Tricia Cast and Jennifer Landon were too glaring cuts. With Cast, she was just recurring and could've been brought in and out as needed. There was no need to officially write her out. And I'll never stop stanning for Jennifer Landon. I've said it many times, but that girl had a spark and didn't have enough time. Characters like Chelsea, Adam, Avery, Kevin and Chloe are going to be the death of this show. I would even include Billy and Victoria. When you look at these characters, they are either tired, unneeded or played by mediocre actors. I don't understand why the lions share of screentime is given to them. I just gave up when I saw a story developing for Kevin and Chloe, the king and queen of borrowed time.

Then you have the way the black characters were handled. Debbi Morgan's exit was a disgrace. Devon's screentime is a disgrace. Letting Christel Khalil go recurring so you don't have to feature the only black heroine is a disgrace. Neil's lack of screentime is a disgrace. Slowly segregated them all into the same storyline at Jabot is just offensive in 2012. Victor and Nikki are the stars of the show and aren't doing anything interesting. Noah, Summer and Fen are all poorly cast and in a bad story. Putting Paul and Christine back together made no sense and the way it destroyed Nina (with no long term payoff) was an abomination.

Yes there is some stuff I've enjoyed, but it's mostly just a mess. A total mess. It's a combination of boring, misguided and just bad writing. And typical of these days we have people saying "TUNE IN JANUARY!! It's really kicking off then!" And when January hits and the show still sucks it'll be April and then May. Give me a break. With B&B and Carlivati's GH, even when the shows are slow or less than perfect, I still understand the vision and it's good enough to keep be tuning in until the next twist. Y&R isn't giving anybody a reason to tune in.

Nobody cares to admit it, but Lynn Marie Latham was able to get Y&R some good ratings. I recall the heavy focus on the Winters family had Y&R going over 6 million viewers. The ratings started to really freefall once Josh Griffith and Maria Arena Bell took over. The show was boring as hell and has been going downhill since then. Bringing him back will NEVER save this show. I just wonder what hack we'll have to deal with next because you know nobody will be smart enough to bring back Kay Alden or Jack Smith. I predict Guza.

• Members

Isn't that after Victoria Rowell left the show? I can't say that surprises me considering she was such an important character for LML's Y&R. I do recall that ratings drop, but people were calling for her head long before there was a ratings reason. I think the solution should've always been to have LML only as a Co-HW. She shouldn't have had an Executive Producer title nor been the only HW. Had they kept Alden, Smith with LML as the third HW I doubt Y&R would be suffering like it is. That was the first huge mistake they made, followed by hiring MAB & JG and then hiring Hogan Sheffer and then bringing back JG. This is why I fully expect the next change to be even worse. And we'll have a new HW within a year, if not sooner.

• Members

Basically Paul and Christine fell back in love in one episode and started making out. Nina caught them the first time, then she went to Katherine and started talking about moving back to LA. I haven't seen her final episode but I believe she's already gone. Lauralee Bell said MAB had planned on writing her out with Danny, but JFP and JG asked her to stick around. Considering how half-assed this story is (and damaging for Christine), I wish they'd just let her go off with Danny.

Archived