James Frey's book "A Million Little Pieces"

DanTheMan

• Members

I'm not sure if any of you have heard but this guy wrote a book "A Million Little Pieces" in which he described how he was able to overcome his drug addiction and alcoholism. I just saw today's live eppy of Oprah and he admitted to lying about some of the characters and other things in the book. I have not read the book, but watched when it was first advertised on Oprah (as part of her book club) on how it was a fantastic memoir. It is on the New York Times Best Seller's list despite not all of what's told in the book to be true. I was just wondering if any SON posters here have read the book and if so if they like it still despite this controversy.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn! The one day I missed Oprah!

Nobody messes with Oprah and gets away with it! :angry: I'm glad that the book has inspired so many people, but couldn't it have done the same thing if it were labeled as fiction and he just explained that the story was based on his life experience?! :blink:

• Members

I've read the book and while I thought it was okay, I really am not liking James Frey. I thought the book was great when I thought of it as a memoir. It was unbelievable to think that these events actually took place, but finding out that major parts of the book were embellished and distorted truths makes it average. I also think it's hypocritical knowing that Frey (in the book) goes on and on about the importance and power of truth and owning up to it. I loved the editor who said Oprah should kick his boney butt out of the Kingdom of Oprah.

I found it funny that he said hardly a word for the second half of the show. It was as if the "adults" were discussing the "disturbed child" sitting between them. I agree with Oprah when she called out publishers for the responsibility they hold in ascertaining the validity of memoirs.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO PLAN TO READ IT-----

I think what disturbed me the most was how he altered Lilly's suicide. What was the point of doing that?

• Members

I was going to buy the book, but then I remembered there was rumors about it not being truthful, so I'm glad I decided not to buy it. Not once did james say he was sorry, and he called his lies mistakes, whatever. Go Oprah, good for her to admitting she was wrong also for defending him on Larry King Live.

• Members

I haven't read the book, but plan to do so sometime in the near future.

I don't think James Frey expected his book to become an Oprah Selection, a huge bestseller and eventually be exposed as a fabricator/liar/manipulator.

Anyway, I hope Oprah researches better which books she'll include in the selection now.

• Members

I am currently reading the book but have slowed down since school has started back up. But I honestly don't care if the book was somewhat fictionalized. He just enhanced and exaggerated things that happened from his own life. Besides while reading this book, you can easily see that some things are far-fetched...so it wasn't shocking to me to find out that some some stuff were fictionalized. I could already figure that out before Frey was outed.

• Members

I really don't see the big deal. His memoirs wouldn't be the first to exaggerate the truth or imbelish in the truth, would they?

What's the big deal? Get over it, Oprah, and get over yourself! You're as bad as those obnoxious hags on The View!

• Members

In Oprah's defense, I think she felt like she had to address it because after TheSmokinggun.com exposed Frey for being a fraud, a lot of people were criticizing him AND Oprah. Oprah went to bat for James Frey and unfortunately it blew up in her face.

Her book club means a lot to her and she probably felt that if she did not address the matter quickly, it could have tarnished her book club permanently. That's my take on it anyway.

• Members

I like Oprah too but in this situation, MarlandRulez is right on the money. She acted like it was no big deal during Larry King but turned into a righteous shrew only a day later.

I wish she would give authors like me a chance. But no, she picks all of these established authors who have endless promotion.

I haven't read the book, but if I were him, I'd milk the situation and SELL, SELL, SELL!

• Members

Yup, I was shocked with what Oprah had to say on LKL. However, I think she redeemed herself in admitting that she was wrong and apologizing to her viewers.

I also think that the most important message of this particular show was the responsibility that Publishers have in presenting consumers with a guaranteed product. I think the "Well, everyone does it..." argument to be ridiculous. If we continue to say that, changes won't be made and readers will continue to be manipulated.

Archived