OLTL - Friday January 6, 2012

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Barbara Garrick, Acting Teacher

http://www.barrowgroup.org/acting-school/teachers/barbara-garrick

BROADWAY: ”A Thousand Clowns “with Tom Selleck, “Stanley”, “A Small Family Business”, and “Eastern Standard”

OFF- BROADWAY includes: “The Winter’s Tale” at Classic Stage Co; “Eight Days Backwards” The Vineyard Theatre”; Beauty on the Vine “Epic Theatre Co; “Eastern Standard” at Manhattan Theatre Club; “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead” The Roundabout; ”A Midsummer Night’s Dream” at Musical Theatre Works; and “Baby Anger” at Playwright’s Horizons.

Barbara originated the roles of “Dede Halcyon Day” in Armistead Maupin’s “Tales of the City” PBS, “More Tales of the City” Showtime, and “Further Tales of the City”(Gemini Nomination) Showtime, and that of the loopy “Allison Perkins” on ” One Life to Live”.

She has appeared in 4 “Law and Orders”, “Sex & the City”, “Ellen Foster” Hallmark Hall of Fame, and in Todd Haynes’ “Dottie Gets Spanked”, among other things

Her Film Credits include: “Sleepless in Seattle”; “The Firm”; “Far From Heaven”; “Miami Rhapsody”; “Jumper”; “Working Girl”; “Postcards from the Edge;” “A Couch in New York”; “The Ice Storm”; ” Pollock”; “Eight Men Out”; and most recently Tennessee William’s “The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond”.

Her Regional Credits include: “Way of the World” by William Congreve at The Shakespeare Theatre DC; “Ridiculous Fraud” by Beth Henley at The McCarter Theatre; “Safe as Houses” by Richard Greenberg at The McCarter Theatre; ” My Good Name” by Aurthur Laurents ( Workshop) at the Seattle Rep; “Romeo and Juliet” American Stage Festival; and “The Tempest” Pioneer Memorial Theatre.

Along with being an acting teacher Barbara is also an accomplished Private Acting Coach.

• Members

I guess I figured since she wouldn't be appearing at all, that wasn't really a spoiler. I think she'll probably send the ambulance for Bo so she'll be "interacting" offscreen. I just wonder if they'll have the paramedics or something say if she came to them, called it in, etc. to give a glimpse into her fate.

• Members

I actually only know the one--are there other gay parts he's played? Of course the guy from Dharma and Gregg plays an evil bisexual in the series too...

The first series is tied up in legal rights so the DVD now goes for like 200 bucks, but it's all on youtube--just click on that video and they have the rest (it's also famous for how it was partly financed by PBS and they got in so much political trouble from the right about the male nudity that they refused to do the followup series which aired on Showtime). More Tales and Further Tales, the followups are easily available on DVD--and all are pretty brilliant though Further changes the books too much. I'd recommend any to a soap fan--the original books were serialized in a San Francisco newspaper daily so they are very soap opera in every sense of the word and pretty brilliant. The fourth novel is meant to be adapted at any point Laura Linney says--she still credits the series for making her a star.

*anyway* back to the thread (Barbara Garrick is in all three)

Cheap, I missed the hos! biggrin.png

• Members

Oh Wow! I'm glad she hasn't quite the industry--her lack of credits for major shows worried me that she had become another actor turned real estate maven. She's brilliant. (I met her ages back at a Film Festival showing of Further Tales of the City after I knew her One Life work and got her to sign my One Life coffee table book--she was extremely gracious and sweet and talked to me for maybe five minutes--which in those situations is an eternity).

God I hope so. She deserves to be in the finale... ABC Soaps in Depth said that the finale has a huge cliffhanger, so I'm getting worried...

Archived