Most miscast soap roles

• Members

I'd say the same about Chris Bernau and Ron Raines on GUIDING LIGHT. Bernau's Alan (Spaulding) was badass, but not to the point of becoming an absolute cartoon. You hated the things Alan did to others, but you also understood why he did them (and even supported him on some level, if that makes any sense). Conversely, there wasn't a moment where I bought Raines' Alan's blustery and grandstanding. He could threaten and intimidate all day long, and all it would elicit was casual eye-rolls. In fact, there were times when I felt Raines himself didn't much care for Alan or respect him. I felt like he'd much rather have Alan lilting around Springfield, eating Harley's mac-and-cheese and singing light opera.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Speaking of Jaime Lyn Bauer, Dennis Cole (who I always liked) was not good as Lance on Y&R. John Mccook had charm and you could buy him as a playboy, but DC was stiff and never seemed to emote.

That's cool to hear about Amy Steel? Is something online of that spoof? I think she married into the Pulitzer family.

• Members

Ok another to toss in, Days mid 70's - Carla Borelli as Mary Anderson. Mary was a 25 year old virgin! One look at Carla and that is just insane!!! Barbara Stanger seemed to be better suited to that part, she was much more Karin Wolfe (who wasn't all that great anyway!) like.

• Members

I said the same about Spencer Truman. After everything the bastard did to ruin the Buchanans, you'd think he would have left behind damage that haunts the family to this day. I'm just saying.

Are you trying to say Carla Borelli looks whorish? ;P

• Members

John Ingle in some ways reminds me of Lee Strasberg a person who I think people feel is a good actor simply because he is actually an acting teacher and taught some fairly big names like Richard Dreyfuss and Albert Brooks.(Strasberg despite the Oscar nom for the Godfather 2 was dreadful in that film. Pacino deserves all the credit in the world for holding up the scenes they had). IN reality he's a mediocre actor and while I like him as Edward, his Edward is more of a lovable teddy bear type than the commanding ruthless figure David Lewis's Edward was. Aside from the age factor, I'd still contend Jed Allen was more a fit for Edward Q than John Ingle was but then the role has become so cartoonish in the past 10-15 years he really never did fit in the characters or the current incarnation of the Quartermaines.

• Members

AMC:

Alicia Minschew as Kendall. She was a model, and it showed for the first five years she was on the show. She still is a limited actress, IMO, and has some bad days.

THe post-Taylor Miller Ninas were defiinitely miscast.

Harriet Hall was credible as Brooke, but she didn't have the spark that Julia Barr brought to the role.

GL

The first replacement for Krista Tesreau as Mindy was quite poor.

The actor who played Alan after Chris Bernau and before Ron Raines was one-dimensional. Raines was OK, but Bernau owned the role.

I liked Marj Dusay, but who the hell could replace THE Beverlee McKinsey? (Carmen Duncan did well in AW, though).

As for John Bolger, again, he was OK but no Grant Aleksander.

Bernau, McKinsey and Aleksander were golden. Those were GL's glory days.

• Members

You didn't like Kimberley Simms? Don't worry. I'm not offended by that statement in the slightest. To me, KT always will be Mindy. It's only surprising to me to see someone make that statement, since the consensus is often that KS did a great job replacing KT.

• Members

Monica's kids are all dead so I dont know how much opportunity there is there. Tracy is an option because none of her children were killed off so there is potential with her. I'd personally much rather Ned, Dillon, even Brook come back over the Solieto or whatever mob family she was connected to on another show get resurrected but I am likely in the minority and I guess the mob element fits more to todays GH anyway.

• Members

I don't know if you're in the minority about wanting to see those characters - I think I'm more in the minority, as I never liked Ned and I thought Brook's last return was a sad example of bad writing and some possible bad plastic surgery.

Regarding Jed Allan, for me the problem beyond age was that I just felt like he bellowed at people. If that's all David Lewis had done in the role, Edward Quartermaine would have been gone faster than Pickle Lila.

I do agree that Ingle isn't really Edward either, and they mostly just use Edward for manipulative purposes (first to make us pity Jason, and then to try to trot out a few tears when a Quartermaine dies...that "I'm the new Joe Kennedy" speech was so tacky, IMO).

• Members

I am not a Ned or Brook fan. I did like Dillon certainly more than this cartoonish Spinelli but I guess I'd prefer seeing her own kids versus some mob family from her past on a show I never watched. I'd rather see Monica's kids back over any of Tracy's but thats not really an option.

I don't think actingwise Jed was better or close to David Lewis or should I say he never emboddied the character the same but I just think much of that was writing. Edward hasn't been written in any way the last 15 years to optimize any of what made Edward , Edward. I think the actor JA had more command and presence in the role than JI has and in that sense he to me was closer to DL than JI is.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, writing was a problem (wasn't he involved with Heather? I don't think so), but I think Jed was just used to playing a character a certain way.

For me the problem with Ned is I don't know what is left for him. But at this point there are so few Quartermaines left. At this point, if they could fix the writing, I'd even be tempted to bring NL back as Rebecca.

• Members

I think you could also do a story where Dawn had given a child up for adoption and didn't want to tell anyone, or perhaps Nikki Langston had a child by AJ.

Speaking of Mickey, was anyone else confused by that thing with Kevin Dobson as Mickey? I thought, well if you're hiring Kevin Dobson, that's something, but didn't he just show up once or twice and never again?

Archived