Ratings from the 70's

• Members

Damn, lol. Not the easy answer I was hoping for. I guess that might be it. Maybe they played it but decided to replay the next day and so it counted as a full pre-emption

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I only had Jan 01, Aug 16 and Nov 25 previously.

CBS had the 15 min rule. If 15 min or more was interrupted it triggered a full pre-emption. Y&R got on air before the 15min point but was taken off again. I'd say Nov 03 is correct.

• Members

Well, I am quite sure that an 8.9 with a 31 share made Betty Corday & Sony very happy. There was this huge debate about whether to marry Doug & Julie. Bill Bell was against it. He thought their appeal as a couple would evaporate with "married life". But I will never understand how "press reports" come up with 16 million viewers out of 8! Thank you so much for pulling the info! I'm editing video of this wedding as we speak & I've only had to throw out a small portion because the quality was so poor. (Yes, I edited it last week but ended up doing it over from scratch.) WTG @JAS0N47 !!! 

• Members
Posted (edited)

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 6/7/76-6/11/76 & 6/14/76-6/18/76:

Please register in order to view this content

FAST WEEKLY WEEK OF 6/21/76-6/25/76 NOT AVAILABLE

(Note: Per newspaper listings, there was only one scheduled preemption this week. "Magazine" preempted "The Price Is Right" from 10-11AM on 6/24/76.  All other daytime shows were scheduled to air every day this week).

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

Wow, I am shocked at how low GH was. Like, almost last. And not just for one week, but consistently doing bad, being one of the bottom ones. They are lucky all other ABC soaps sucked at that time too, otherwise they would not have been still here today.

• Members

I’m shocked AMC and OLTL weren’t doing so hot this time. I wonder what was going on at the time that wasn’t appealing to the audience. Of course 3 years later would begin the ABC/GH dominance. 

• Members

Well we don't have specific weeks, I suppose, but we do have those monthly recaps that FrenchFan provided to us some time ago. So we could see what was happening in July 76, for example. 

But yeah, just in general ABC was not doing well. I guess people were really into P&G soaps at the time (plus Y&R)..

• Members
Posted (edited)

But we do have weekly recaps beginning 6/14/76, thanks to Jon-Michael Reed's Tune in Tomorrow column. I have all of the Days ones posted on my site. The rest of the soaps would at least be available in newspaper archives.

I checked and typed these out for you:

6/28/76-7/2/76: AMC: Phoebe didn't take kindly to Brooke's boyfriend, Benny. But she had no choice after he found out about her scheme. Kitty decided to spend more time with "mother." Linc is suspicious. GH: Jeff turned green during surgery. Rick admitted his longing for Monica. Leslie and Cam argued. She turned to Peter, who doesn't believe Miss Clifford's story either. Cam tried another ploy: find Laura's father.  OLTL: Victor's will was read. Victoria was sufficiently provided for, but Dorian was named executrix, and Tony got zilch. Everybody urged Victoria to put up a fight. She doesn't want the responsibility.

7/5/76-7/9/76: AMC: After sneaking out of the hospital, Donna was back in business with Ty. She's having second thoughts and a bummer of a leg. Thanks to Erica, Phoebe learned of Donna's reputation and had a scene with Chuck. Mrs. Lum is on to Phoebe's game. Charles informed Anne of the consequences if she doesn't get an abortion. GH: Jeff and Rick rubbed it in that Rick is the odd man out and doesn't have Monica. Because of Cam's insinuations, Diana stormed in on Peter and Lesley  and accused them. OLTL: Dorian offered Peter the job at the clinic instead of Larry. Joe defended Dorian to Tony, then later admitted it with a pose; he doesn't trust Dorian either. Cathy offered to pay Tony's loan.
Edited by JAS0N47