B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Can i ask you to please write when you upload episodes and in which year, so that it will be much easy to get what is newly uploaded

Please register in order to view this content

thak you

Love you all that donate their episodes so that we can all enjoy!

• Members

It's one of those time frames where my personal records are not 100% correct. My assumption is that B&B was NOT fully pre-empted in January 1991, but there were several in Feb/Mar/Apr 1991:

I have the obvious January 1 plus Feb 18,  March 7 and March 17, April 5 & 8 & 9 as pre-emptions as based on the list of Bill Bell B&B scripts; usually there should have been March Madness and therefore these April pre-emptions might be incorrect after all. I don't know: I'm pretty sure that we had 7 missing episodes in the first 4 months of 1991, though.

• Members

I would assume the scripts would be behind in terms of correcting pre-emptions, maybe even scheduled ones sometimes. The NCAA Tournament did pre-empt Y&R and B&B Mar 14 & 15 1991. There were 10 pre-emptions for Y&R that year and it seems there were 13 for B&B. Jan 17 I believe was the first official day of the Gulf War or something like that. So you would have at least Jan 1, 17, Mar 14, 15 in the first 4 months. Maybe there were three others in April that didn't affect Y&R

• Members

Brad Bell interview from 199?

Bradley Phillip Bell, head honcho of The Bold and the Beautiful, is one of television's youngest — and most successful — writer/producers. The Chicago native moved to Los Angeles, with siblings Bill Jr. (B&B's Director of Business Affairs) and Lauralee (currently on sabbatical as The Young and the Restless's Christine), to help his parents, Y&R Co-creators William J. Bell and Lee Phillip Bell, launch B&B. He started as a dialogue writer and was promoted through the ranks over the years.

B&B is holding strong and steady in the No. 2 position at a time when soaps are losing viewers, recently scoring a 5.0 in the Nielsen ratings. Never one to let the success go to his head, Brad recently chatted with TV Guide Online about the Forresters, the Spectras and B&B's future.— Michael J. Maloney

You must be pleased with the show these days.

Yes. I was very psyched to see the show hit the 5.0 rating [the week of Aug. 2 to 6]. It was very gratifying.

You refrained from creating a teen story on the show for a long time. What prompted you to go ahead with the Amber/Rick/Kimberly/C.J. saga?

I wanted to do a story with family members. So it was kind of a waiting game — literally waiting for the next generation of Forresters and Spectras to get to the right age where you can start telling story. I waited and then I aged them a bit.

We've heard there are plans for a remote at the end of the year.

Yes. Right now we're tentatively booked to go to Venice [Italy] for a location shoot in the first week of December, and it will air the first week of January.

Which characters get to go?

I'm still formulating that. Brooke is likely [to go]. Thorne, too. Possibly Ridge and Taylor as well as the younger group, Amber and Rick. It will definitely be one of our full-scale extravaganzas.

Given that the soaps's audience has dwindled over the years, would you do anything different if you were launching a show today?

I would do a lot of things the same way. You have to create families that the audiences care about and create real situations as opposed to fantasy. What's important is to have human drama where people will watch it and say, "Wow, that happened to me, or to my mother or my aunt." That's what any good drama will be about.

When Stephanie was driving up to the cabin to confront Brooke over her relationship with Thorne, viewers were treated to a series of flashbacks detailing the long-running Stephanie/Brooke rivalry. A show really can't buy that kind of intense history. You really have to put the time in to get a payoff like that.

Definitely. It sure is great to be able to draw upon that kind of richness.

When the Brooke/Thorne relationship began, some people thought, "Here she goes again with another Forrester man, and this is just because she can't have Ridge." However, Katherine Kelly Lang and Winsor Harmon (Brooke and Thorne) share a surprising chemistry.

Definitely. The chemistry Jeff Trachta (ex-Thorne) had with Bobbie Eakes (Macy) was fantastic. But I didn't necessarily see it [between Jeff] and Hunter Tylo (Taylor) and at the time I was taking the story in a Thorne/Taylor direction. Now I'm seeing chemistry with Winsor and Katherine. It comes organically off the two of them. He's a very chemical guy. Right after the first on-screen kiss they shared, I thought we have the opportunity to build a relationship and have some very attractive and sexy scenes.

B&B has gone through a number of cast departures over the last year. Clearly, though, your decision to refocus on core families and teen storylines paid off, as indicated by the 5.0 rating.

It's difficult and, in many ways, a gamble to get rid of people you know are talented actors, like Kimberlin Brown, Ian Buchanan, Barbara Crampton, and Paul Satterfield (ex-Sheila, ex-James, ex-Maggie and ex-Pierce). They were all fantastic actors and great contributors to the show. You're never totally sure that the direction you're going in at the time is the right one. But what's never let me down is building things around families and bringing in new family members. Scenes between family members are always much more riveting than ones between friends and strangers.

The Soap Opera Encyclopedia, by the late Christopher Schemering, calls the Mike Horton paternity storyline on Days of Our Lives, written by your father, "probably daytime TV's longest held secret." On your show, the secret of baby Eric's maternity seems to be unraveling now that Becky knows that he is really her son. Had you thought about extending that revelation?

At first I was eager to break the record by keeping the maternity of Amber's baby a secret even longer, but I decided to keep the story fresh. Becky finding out has brought more dimension. And at this point, the Forresters don't know. That secret is going to be held at least a little bit longer.

The medium's ratings are plummeting but Y&R and B&B stay at the top by sticking to the basics: strong storytelling and consistent casts. Where are the other shows going wrong?

I've noticed that [shows] have been following what tends to work for the short-term. If you get too far away from the family and reality-based stories then your audience is going to splinter. If a show tries something different, sure, it may look good in the short-term and get some attention, but in the long run it's going to do more harm.

Do you get direction from the network?

Not really. The vision for B&B is the other writers — Jack Smith and Teresa Zimmerman — and myself. Also, my father [who serves as B&B's Executive Story Consultant]. So, yes, the show is really our vision coming straight from the writing staff with no interference from CBS. I can't tell you how grateful I am to [the network] for having the discipline and the faith in us to let us tell story the way we tell it. Everyone from [CBS Entertainment President] Les Moonves and [Sr. Vice President of Daytime] Lucy Johnson have been wonderful in respecting us. They know we won't go too far in terms of bad taste, too much violence, or things that are too sexually explicit. They know that that's not our style.

Your wife, Colleen, has worked on the show in various capacities. Does she still?

Yes. She's a production assistant in the booth a few times a month. We'll watch the show together and I'll bounce some ideas off of her. But she's really into being a mom right now.

How do you juggle your busy life?

It's become manageable. I do work long hours. Yesterday I worked from 7:30 am to 10:30 pm. It was a big day. We don't really talk about the show on the weekends. Saturdays and Sundays are my days off. We had a great two-week break over the summer and we'll have another one at the end of the year. I've taken up surfing.

Really? [Laughs] Have you told CBS?

[Laughs] No, but I think they've seen the surf rack on my car.

Sounds like fun.

I just started a few months ago and I'm hooked.

Speaking of hooked, Brooke seems to have given up her obsession of Ridge. The character seems more sympathetic when she doesn't have him.

I think that Ridge and Brooke will always have some magic between them. But [Brooke's pursuit of Ridge] was a story that people were tired of watching and one that I was, in a way, tired of writing. Something had to give. The Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle, in terms of being a solid front-burner, three-to-four-day-a-week, carry-the-show-story went on for as long as any I could ever think of. It was the heart and soul of the show for a long time. It was limiting as a writer. I was ready to throw away the security blanket and strut my stuff in other ways. I've found the show more manageable by going in different directions and by bringing in new characters. It's much easier to write and more fun, too.

Sounds like the future's pretty bright.

We're very excited right now. We started in 1987 in the mid 5.0s [ratings-wise]. When I took over the show, we'd dipped into a 4.6 or 4.8. To maintain the ratings in this kind of climate is something very exciting. Our international market continues to grow. We're looking forward to a very bright future.