B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

I wanted to share my two cents on the 1994 episodes graciously uploaded to the Vault. I have reached # 1772 which originally aired in April 1994 on CBS. It seems I was not yet a regular viewer beck then because most of the episodes feel fresh to me. I have read extensive recaps over the years, therefore it is fascinating no less to actually see some of these developments as they unfolded on the screen. As many of you mentioned, it’s not all holding up that well.

In my last episode: Ridge was expressing his happiness over Stephanie getting closer to Eric. This felt super shady considering that Stephanie is NOT solo but in a relationship with Ridge’s father-in-law. Jack is also such a void by now and reduced to Taylor’s sounding board; as a matter of fact, I think it was never mentioned what Jack’s new job was after he left the accounting job at Spectra.

And Taylor? Spring 1994 is absurd for this character. I always pictured her and James making love as a cringeworthy scene arising out of life and death moment. That’s what was told on screen, but the fake “snow make-up” which made Taylor and James look like the cast of some 70s vampire movie did not transport a life and death crisis onto the screen. And boy, the last couple of weeks Taylor has had the same conversation over and over: she wants to clear her conscience while Jack and James advise her against it (which is questionable for both characters) and Stephanie and Brooke immediately know that James and Taylor slept with each other. They not just realize that a secret is kept, they know exactly what this secret is!? But back to Taylor: the genius solution of a renowned psychologist invited as speaker to a world wide conference is to write her husband a LETTER in which she confesses. Boy – this sure made a lot of sense. NOT

Macy and Anthony make a decent storyline. The scenes with little CJ who is banking on him to become his new daddy were sweet. As @Videnbas pointed out, Thorne’s absence in Paris in all of this is just preposterous, though. While watchable, 1994 truly feels like a Spelling primetime soap. We get twists and turns – but not all of them make sense.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, I think the part of early 1994 that works the best is the Anthony storyline - it's entertaining to watch him utterly make a mess of the entire Spectra family and he is a compelling character because you can already see subtle hints of what will come. Sheila's storyline is also solid with Jay Garvin's death.

I am currently watching later 1994 episodes and I have to agree with the poster who said things move S-L-O-W-L-Y. The Morocco storyline (which I remembered as much better than it actually is) is taking forever. Ridge and Brooke talk about being eager to get home to the kids while embarking on the longest honeymoon in the history of mankind (I fully expect Little Eric and Bridget to be in college by the time Ridge and Brooke get home).

Meanwhile, Jessica and Dylan are incredibly uninteresting together, and Stephanie's obsession with her 17 year old niece's love life (and her conviction that having a boyfriend will automatically make Jessica get pregnant and drop out of school) ridiculous.

To me, the parts of the second half of 1994 that I enjoy the most are Sheila's increasingly desperate attempts to salvage her marriage, and Thorne and Macy's humorous flirting at the studio.

• Members

I'm up to Jay's death, and I feel like the show is rebounding. Those doldrums that I felt in late 93-early 94 have seemed to finally go away, though I do feel that it's a little out of character for Sally to be so angry and bitter towards Macy over her relationship with Anthony.

And personally, I do find it quite funny watching Maitland Ward play such a meek, mousy, shy and quiet character, considering her current profession 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

This is the first episode of 1997: #2452 which aired Janaury 2, 1997.

Pardon me for interupting with a VERY important question

Please register in order to view this content

Episode #1778 feautures a HUGE kitchen set for Sally's condo which I think was never seen before and afterwards. I think meals were usually eaten in Sally's living room. Or can anybody remember any other occurence of Sally's kitchen?

• Members

Oh yes, I thought about that too! It was an ENORMOUS kitchen and I can't recall seeing it before or since.

I'm always a little confused about the rooms in Sally's apartment (other than the living room of course). I think we see two separate (but kind of similar) bedrooms, neither of which seems to belong to CJ.

• Members

Good that I'm not the only one. I also think that besides the living we only ever had Sally's bedroom (her early days with Clarke and later ca. 2001 with Massimo (I think) and another bedroom in which Macy stayed when things looked bad with Thorne (so quite often LOL). I also cannot remember that C.J. ever had a room which us viewers saw...