June 6-10, 2011

Toups

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just going to post that I feel bad for B&B, because I think over the past one or two years that they have tried to do concrete things to turn things around. Unlike other soaps they didn't just rely on stunts or bring back older fan favorite characters, they were one of the first shows to fire several key people behind the scenes as well as some actors who couldn't pull their weight. I don't watch the show, but it seems like they were more serious about making changes than some other shows.

While B&B is the most watched soap in the world, that doesn't mean anything to CBS, since they are sharing in the profit from that situation, and I think that Bradley Bell knows that in order to continue being the most popular soap, that the show needs to be filmed in the US, and that the production standards need to be kept at a level that he won't be able to achieve if CBS drops the show.

• Members

A 1.8 is awesome. Who cares that it's just a tenth of a point lower than what ATWT was averaging for the year when it was canceled, or just two tenths higher than what GL was getting the year of its demise. Obviously, the fact that OLTL is beating AMC and GH means that the wrong show was canceled, and that it was canceled because ABC doesn't like it.

• Members

Thank you Bella and Jane! That was quick~

And thank you for putting words into our mouths. Such a joke.

No one is celebrating. It is simply a bunch of dying dogs. We are grateful that our dog is feeling a little better. But we know he isn't gonna make it. We just enjoy the minor victories.

No one said anything about the wrong soap being cancelled. YOU said that.

• Members

*Sigh* Same numbers, same fight. I'm sorry I posted them.

Anyway totally different subject. B&B is watched globally and apparently performs respectably. Even if CBS were to cancel them wouldn't it make sense for Sony to find another outlet for that show? One that could build the global audience?

• Members

I disagree. They may have done a few superficial changes, but when it comes down to business this show is stuck in the 90s. If Brad Bell wanted to really change this show the first thing he would have to do is stop returning to the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle and have Ridge hop between those two women every six months. It's a triangle that has overstayed its welcome by at least 10 years. He did make one change last year when he had Brooke and Stephanie bury the hatchet, but guess what....it lasted around six months and now we're back to business as usual in that department again. He had an interesting story starting to unfold between Jackie/Owen/Bridget, but that just ended almost from one episode to another. He made a complete and utter mess of both Sarah Brown's and Rick Hearst's arrivals, and they're already gone. And as for Amber she has almost the exact same story she had almost 15 years ago.

• Members

The problem is, how hard will it be for the Bells to find a home in the US, so that they can continue to produce the show. No other network, even the cable ones, are going to enter into a deal with them without getting a piece of What the Bell's make from their international license. Aside from that, that the show is produced in the US is a major reason why it is so popular in some countries. The show being canceled or not airing here reduces its value.

Like I said, I don't watch the show, so I can't speak to the quality of the storylines, even though I do remember seeing countless promos for Brooke and Ridge's wedding a few years back, and even though they made it seem like this was the last time, it seemed like the next month they were airing promos about Ridge being back with Taylor. I agree with what you are saying, but it just seems like when the ratings started to fall that Brad Bell was quick to start making changes. Most of the other soaps tend to wait forever before they fire the people who are producing the show, or firing actors who aren't doing their job. But, as with ABC and Frons, it would seem that the main problem is whoever is afraid to move away from the played out Brooke, Ridge and Taylor triangle.

LOL, nobody said it this week, but it would be a lie to say that this has never been stated.

Archived