Once Upon A Time: Discussion Thread

• Members

I loved last night's eppy, my favorite of the season. I was shocked she was the wolf, but it's a great twist.

I saw something earlier today on twitter about OUAT being a show where evil triumphs over good all the time, but I doubt in the end they'll prevail. It's different and I like it. I don't know what some were expecting -_-

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I like the show but one thing confuses me. If all the fairytale characters were, because of the spell, caused to lose their memories, did they go through a time warp, too? I mean, Emma was a baby in fairytale land and, of course, Henry didn't exist there yet, so how does Emma end up an adult coming to Storyville and what's Henry doing in the middle of these people when he wasn't born yet? Aside from the obvious of needing Emma to be an adult character, how does baby Emma end up aged after the spell and nobody else does? Also, I know Snow sent her baby Emma off to protect her but does that mean Storyville existed for Emma to arrive at before the Queen's spell even occured? wacko.png

• Members

applcn, it actually is 28 years later in both the real world and fairytale world. I know it is a stretch, but we are supposed to believe Emma is 28 years old. However, the characters in fairytale have not aged at all since the curse. They have false memories and time does not move there or at least did not used until Emma arrived. Henry was adopted by Regina 8 years ago. The big secret is how did Gold get Henry for Regina to adopt. After all, according to the curse and with Regina's meddling none of the characters can leave Storybrooke. The writers have also not explained how they (Regina) will deal with Henry aging naturally when the Storybrooke characters do not. After all, at some point the characters should notice that none of them have aged while Henry is 50 years old.

• Members

So we figure it out its been 28 years, but i am confused. Dont these people in Storybrooke realize that havent aged at all? What do they know about the outside world? So many questions, but i love this show! Also, Jennifer Morrison was born in 1979, so she be 33 this year. Its a five year differance from what we are suppose to beleive she is 28.

Remember, the kids in Glee are suppose to be high schoolers, but alot of them are in there mid 20's and early 30's. lol

• Members

The residents of Storybrook are, courtesy of the curse, in a "spell," or a sort of fugue state. Time does pass, in the way that it is not "Groundhog Day," and the same thing occurs over and over, but people don't physically age, they are, what we the nuns would have called, in a kind of purgotory. In the first few episodes the characters would mention things like "Regina has been mayor, well, ever since I can remember," and when Graham asked Mary Margaret when they became friends, how they first met, she says "I cant really remember," and instantly dismisses it. SB is cut off from the world, both in that,people can't come into town, and people cant leave. I would say that it does get new technology but not as rapidly as we do (there been several nods to outdated technology, if someone has a cell phone, its a flip, the video game Regina gave Henry was really old.) and it seems that they really dont care. They are pliable little dolls for Regina to play with, like her pets, they dont question or confront her or notice they are trapped. They realize there is an outside world but it is severly limited, the only town they seem to know of or talk about is Boston. No one notices they havent aged the way they havent noticed Henry does, they just are in a daze when it comes to those thing. Kind of funny, as a lot of small towns are like that, time seems to slooooow down and if anyone questions how things are, people say, "Well its always been that way!"

Now Emma arrived the clock start ticking so time started and people are getting their free will back and questioning things (the city council meeting they had once probably was the first one Regina had to make things look right. ) etc.

• Members

Mitch's explanation is very good. The only thing I would disagree on is that people can get into town. Henry, Emma, and the writer have all come from outside of town. However, right now it seems like Storybrook does not exist in the real world so no one ever goes there or maybe it only exists to certain people, those with magic or a magical connection to the fairytale world.

• Members

Thanks, but yes, I think the people who come into town, are ones who as you said, have a connection to the Enchanted Forest, Emma was born there, so that is why she can come, the new guy, well he has to have some connection...Regina said he "looks familiar," and we now know that, with the right magic, citizens of the Enchanted Forest can visit other realms (and that ours is just one of many, ours just doesnt have magic in it.) The Kansas plates on his bike, and the shot of them, have to tell us something as does the CGI storm above Regina's house when he arrives. My personal opinion is that he is from Oz, or has some connection to it, (Frank L. Baum or Dorothy Gale) and that Regina may have visited Oz and seen him, or he may have visited the EF.

Henry is another issue. Now he is Emma's kid so he has a connection but he was born in this world. However, how did Rumple "leave," Storybrooke to get him? How did he come to stay in SB? My other big question is, how does food and material come to SB? Does it just appear? If not there has to be delivery people who bring it into town. We also know that Regina contacted people outside of SB, like the Boston DCFS. She is a liar but Emma mentions contacting the electric company which is outside of town. Do people realize SB exists, but just never find the need to go there? Do the delivery people, electic and gas company just come in, do their thing and leave and just never think of going there at all for anything pesonal?

Questions , questions.

• Members

Great questions, Mitch. I have the similar ones when I watch the show. The water source, sewer lines, etc. are all hooked up to larger regional systems. It is hard to believe that a town in Maine of all places could be so isolated. It must be protected or disguised by magic somehow. Of course, when I think too hard about them, they take me out of show a bit.

Henry's adoption is the biggest mystery the writers will have to address. The one obvious route is that Gold, who is obviously not impacted by his own curse, is able to leave Storybrook, but can he just show up in Boston and get custody of a baby? I can't help thinking that these issues are never going to really resolved satisfactorily, much like Lost.

• Members

Oh, they better get answered, and not, like Lost, decide to forget half of what happened before. As much as I love my Regina I am not sticking around for that!

So far they have answered small questions...so I have faith that they will eventually tie everything up. There is more wiggle room dealing with this show, as there are so many characters and the addition of magic, etc. Lost was first about people on an island trying to get off and then it became so convoluted no one could tie it all together.

I think that obviously we know Rumple has his own agenda, and that he planned loop holes in the curse all along. But the curse has to be a means to an end to him, a man who is used to playing the long game, while Regina is a woman who just gets pissed and starts blasting away. The key is Henry, who was ment to bring Emma to town, so I cant imagine they would ignore that BIG plot point. I also think (hope) the writers and ABC learned from their mistakes and realize that they can't make this show so dense people cant pick it up and that there has to be payoffs. Its already hard enough to try to get my friends to sit and watch it when I have to explain it all. It seems so simple, Evil Queen casts a curse which traps her enemies...but it has so much more going for it, like a soap opera.

As Regina is fond of saying, "We shall see!"

• Members

I enjoy the show, but sometimes I am bored by the fairytale back stories which feel like pure filler at times. I also cannot shake that suspicion that the reason for all the endless fairytale back stories is that TPTB are stalling and do not have any real answers for the mysteries that they were giving us and are unsure about the overarching story. I am still watching though. I did not give up on Lost until the third season when I finally figured that the writers were clueless and were taking the audience for a ride.

• Members

Finally Emma is starting to believe, Parts of Snow are coming out in Mary Margret when she kicked

Jefferson out the window, love the special effects and the color, I didn't know who Sebstation Stan was but he was good as The Mad Hatter, you felt for him, hopefully he'll come back somehow. I loved Roger Daltry from The Who as the caterpillar’s voice. Who Are You.

OUATWhoAreYou_1.gif

Archived