Soaps and furs

• Members

In all seriousness, I don't think most women today have the panache to pull it off. I remember watching a Y&R and seeing Nikki or maybe it was Jill in these giant fur coats looking horrible. Just these giant monstrosities that if they weren't fur the ladies wouldn't never consider wearing such giant coats.

Now if women ever go back to something like this

bettie+davis+fur+coat.jpg

or even something like this

myrna-loy-fur_opt.jpg

they would look good. But just to traipse around in full length monstrosities would just look bad.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The linebacker coats like the one Rae has on in that clip are one thing but there are sleeker styles that the ladies would look great in. You still see a lot of fur in cities like New York, D.C., and Chicago.

The influence of the '80s soap diva bitch on a person like Star Jones is clear. :lol: :

spl66591_005_ivana.jpg

furG_468x716.jpg

• Members

Yup. In sheared mink (see how it almost passes for PETA-dodging velvet?)... she's with Candace Bushnell with the sable trim who was of course behind Lindsay's show Lipstick Jungle. They are at furrier Dennis Basso's show.

• Members

I thought that was going to be Nicki Manaj.

A big example of how the Dynasty-era got into even fairly low-key soaps. Fur and more fur on GL...although Vanessa's fur is the only one that looks ridiculous (Trish was always a low-key character so she has low-key fur). She also dropped her fur once to vamp Ross (while Maeve was in the last stages of pregnancy).

• Members

I remember one of the soap magazines teasing Amanda (Toby Poser) for stealing Vanessa's move and dropping her fur coat to seduce Ross. Amanda and Vanessa were the last two people I remember on GL wearing real minks circa mid-'90s like at Henry's funeral.

Here are Warren and Alex looking like one of the classic "His & Her Fur" ads in an '80s Neiman Marcus Christmas catalogue:

Archived