OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Happy 4th of July one more treat to go, but since comments tell me that my main objective (seeing Judith Barcroft as Viki and maybe Niki) will not be possible to reach (apparently she appeared in february) i won't be watching it as closely i was until now, despite The Jenny/David final storyline being very interesting, so those interested i recommend you subscribe to the channel as apparently no one else seems to be sharing it here

Anyway changing the subject does anyone know what scenes/episodes Kassie DePaiva submitted to the Emmys in 2005??? i was very curious

• Members

I have thought that Linda Gottlieb was one of the best producers ever.   The show, I feel, was a colaboration of the co-headwriters (Michal Malone and Josh Griffin) and Ms. Gottlieb.   Mr. Malone needed a good co-writer, judging from his first months on the show during which he did not one.    It also took him a while to learn to write for Robin Strasser after she returned to the show.

With these three, there was true magic on the television screens.  

Also, at one point, Ms. Gottlieb advocated story arcs that would last a few weeks at a time.   This, thankfully was dropped.  It was not a good practice for a daytime soap opera.

Awesome find. Very early Cord & Tina. And David & Jenny's big action-adventure story. Love Cord mentioning his half Mexican to Tina.  And how they are from two different worlds. Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm familiar with this channel. But most of the videos up until now have been from 1996. Not one of my favorite OLTL years. Unlike 1986 which is one of my favorite years.  That's when i first started watching in the summer.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Most of what he did at AW wasn't really "AW" stories. He had had this soap that was supposed to really take off, air at supper time, be set in New Orleans, etc. It may have been named BOURBON STREET. It may have been earmarked for the USA network. (Might have been Hallmark.) And, JG may have been co- with him on it. Not sure. But, I am sure that the leads were a couple Shane & Lila Roberts. I believe Shane had been a pilot in the Air Force but now he is a doctor. Lila was very much a fainting Southern belle type & she was terrified of storms. So, Robert Kelker Kelly had been hired back at AW but not as his old character, as a new character, Bobby Reno, a race car driver who had had a terrible accident & had had to have his corneas replaced. The corneas he got were from Ryan Harrison donation, Vicky's beloved, who had died. Malone gave Bobby Reno a whole new character, that of Shane Roberts. Lisa Peluso was hired as Lila.

Malone took the iconic working class guy who always had a chip on his shoulder & was generally defensive Jake McKinnon & decided that he was a Cary Grant type. Whoosh. Personality change. He tampered a bit here & a bit there, always changing things with the rest of town. Mostly he used up that show bible! Frankly, I think it would've made a good soap but it was not good as a transplant onto struggling AW.

• Members

??? sorry then it wasn't reallly my intention i just wanted to let you know i guess the lack of a comma made it sound rather rude didn't mean too

BTW if Cord and Tina is the Focus of your attention the channel reedited and posted new verions of the compilations today that focus solely on them, so those interested can see them from the very beginning

It was a misunderstanding on my part. Sometimes on here i don't know who's friend or foe. So, i can be overly sensitive. To any perceived slights. 

Just like Cord i had no idea Maria was introduced this early in 1986. For some reason i thought they appeared late in the summer. More episodes /clips have been uploaded. Level 42 performance at Elmo's. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

"Most of what he did at AW wasn't really "AW" stories. He had had this soap that was supposed to really take off, air at supper time, be set in New Orleans, etc. It may have been named BOURBON STREET. It may have been earmarked for the USA network. (Might have been Hallmark.) And, JG may have been co- with him on it. Not sure. But, I am sure that the leads were a couple Shane & Lila Roberts. I believe Shane had been a pilot in the Air Force but now he is a doctor. Lila was very much a fainting Southern belle type & she was terrified of storms. So, Robert Kelker Kelly had been hired back at AW but not as his old character, as a new character, Bobby Reno, a race car driver who had had a terrible accident & had had to have his corneas replaced. The corneas he got were from Ryan Harrison donation, Vicky's beloved, who had died. Malone gave Bobby Reno a whole new character, that of Shane Roberts. Lisa Peluso was hired as Lila.

Malone took the iconic working class guy who always had a chip on his shoulder & was generally defensive Jake McKinnon & decided that he was a Cary Grant type. Whoosh. Personality change. He tampered a bit here & a bit there, always changing things with the rest of town. Mostly he used up that show bible! Frankly, I think it would've made a good soap but it was not good as a transplant onto struggling AW."

I think that you are confusing too different proposed television serials, neither of which came about as they were proposed.

There was a primetime show planned for the FOX network whose title was 13 Bourbon Street.   It was created by Michael Malone and Josh Griffin.  There was a pilot filmed.   I don't know if this pilot was ever aired or not.    Linda Gottlieb was the executive producer.  (Mr. Malone, Mr. Griffin, and Ms. Gottlieb had collaborated on One Life to Live.)  The associate writer was Paul B. Margolis,  who had been a producer/writer for several other primetime shows.  I seem to remember that the show was interested in Kirk Geiger (after he had been replace as Kevin on One Life to Live) being cast, possibly with Ellen Bethea (who had originated the role of Rachel on One Life to Live).  They, however, were not in the completed pilot.   The only name with which I was familiar who appeared in the pilot was Henry Simmons.   The show was to be set in New Orleans and was said to include voodoo elements in the storylines.

There was another show that the announced to be aired by the USA network.  I am thinking that the show was to be called Park Avenue.  It never came into filming or taping.   I seem to remember that the creator was Sharon DeBord, an actress who had appeared on the General Hospital serial during the early 1970s as Sharon McGillis.   Ms. DeBord was also the former wife of actor Antony Ponzini (who had created the role of Vinny Woleck on One Life to Live and later played Charlie Smith on the same show).  

I had been hearing for years that Sharon DeBord had been working on a soap opera creation, but that was all that was being said.  So, when this program was announced, I then knew what the actress had been working on for all those years.

Park Avenue (assuming that was the name) was planned to air in the very early evenings as counter programming against  the network's news shows.  At one point, there were published reports that John F. Kennedy, Jr. was interested in a role on the show.    He had recently failed his New York bar exam.   This was prior to his creating George magazine.     I don't think that this was true but was, instead, a baseless publicity leak by those involved with the show.    Mr. Kennedy's first cousin, Christopher Lawford, did in a few months bring the character of Little Phil/Charlie Brent back to the screen.   I thought, at the time, that it was probably Mr. Lawford who was interested in serial roles and not Mr. Kennedy.

I also heard a rumor that Victoria Wyndham (The Guiding Light, Another World) had considered filling one of the show's roles.    (This was after Another World's cancellation.)

I never heard of any show that had been created or co-created by Brian Frons, but I could certainly have missed information about it.    I do know that producers have been listed before as co-creator of shows (such as Paul Raunch as creator of For Richer, For Poorer and for Texas and Wendy Riche as a creator of Port Charles).

• Members

Thnx for all the info. It is definitely the MM-JG-Gottlieb New Orleans suppertime soap I am referring to that MM used part of its bible & the characters Shane & Lila Roberts during his brief 6 months at AW. I didn't say anything about Frons & any soap. And, I know of course about Rauch & Lemay's FRFP & TX and about WR creating Port Charles. I don't know how Brian Frons name came up. I think that was an ABC poster who knows MM from OLTL. And, I had no idea that the Bourbon St. soap was meant for FOX. They, of course, had wanted a soap lineup of their very own for so many years. Very interesting. They should've put it on the air!

• Members

I have two reinterations (or additions) to post:

13 Bourbon Street was NOT intended for a daytime time slot.  it was to be a nighttime primetime serial.

And, Harding Lemay had nothing to do with Texas.    The credited creators were Paul Rauch, William Corrington, and Joyce Corrington.Froa

The name of Brian Frons was mentioned in the post that I quoted.   The pronoun "he" was used, and the anticedent was, I assume, Brian Frons.

• Members

Right. I referred to it as a suppertime soap. Perhaps it was not meant to be between 6&7. Perhaps it was meant to be primetime. But, neither of us thought it was daytime & I certainly did not say that it was.

Yes, Pete was with Paul in FRFP. I'm sorry if there was some confusion. None of those soaps had anything to do with the original discussion.

Yes, again, I think that was an ABC poster who was in the original framework of the posts, about OLTL & MM there, and alleged that Brian Frons interfered with the writing of the ABC soaps. I can check it if you're concerned about Brian Frons for some unknown reason. No one was connecting Brian Frons with AW or MM at his time at AW.

Posted yesterday at 12:13 AM

On 7/4/2022 at 8:02 PM, John said:

Brian Frons who was ABC Daytime Prez at the time (2002-2012) butted in on all the shows and told them what to write. Not sure about AW in 1997 if it was the writing or P&G. What were his AW stories?

So, that's the way in which this OLTL poster brought up Brian Frons. I  hope this make it clear for you.

Edited by Tonksadora
Here is what the poster "John" was quoted in my reply to him.