• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Tracy [!@#$%^&*] Melchior. Awful.

I thought Fiona Hutchison did the work of her career in this period - she was utterly heartwrenching. She should've stayed forever. This shitty Heaven Can Wait story always sucked, though. Nathaniel Marston was not worth this mess.

This is also when it was becoming abundantly clear Frons had curbed the planned reunion for Bo and Nora as well as Max and Gabrielle, so all they ever did during the Malone II regime, particularly in 2004, was a series of "funny" interludes where Bo and Nora got trapped together and talked about nothing. The plot never moved, it was just a series of transparent teases and time-wasters. The Colson crap nauseated me.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I thought there was something a little disturbing about the idea of this man dying and Al taking over as him and of course Marcie would fall in love with him - I can't quite put my finger on it, but I wasn't comfortable with it.

Fiona did a wonderful job, to the point where it's almost painful to watch. As much as I had a few issues with Gabrielle's characterization in the last Heaven episode, seeing this stuff again reminds me that I'm glad this wasn't the last place we saw her in.

Al yelling MICHAEL MICHAEL MICHAEL! was hilarious. I wish Luna had said MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA!

• Members

I think this came up in another thread recently, but the Heaven Can Wait story was ick for me because it really seemed like for some reason (cuzhe was a bit of a jerk?) the real Michael "died" simply so Al could take over. Why did Al deserve the body more than this guy who seemed nice enough? (I can't even remember how Michael's spirit died--did Luna kill him? :P ). Also, at the time many people seemed to like about the four times we saw the Michael actor more than Al anyway. Yeah some were mad they killed off Al so soon, but people seemed over it by then.

• Members

Of course Higley making him a gay psycho killer really did it in.

I know when Josh Griffith left in Feb or 2004 he explicitly said it was because of network (ie Frons) interference. Broderick left as Associate HW then too, but I think it was due toher contract just being done--Malone lasted till sometime in the Fall.

• Members

Looking back at that storyline now, and seeing some of the material play out again for the first time in years - I can see why they did it. I despised it at the time, absolutely despised it. But it was the right impulse. It was ripped from the headlines at the time (the McGreevey scandal), it was shocking, and it had all the makings of a huge sweeps story right down to the big confrontation at Colson's swearing-in. I even could see why they used Nora as his bride, because people loved and cared about Nora. It was the lackadaisical scripts and characterization, the execution that killed it for me. Nora was not treated well, she had no real story or fallout or POV before, during or after, and they promoted it while doing nothing, absolutely nothing for positive gay representation on the canvas. Mark Solomon was a dayplayer cipher who was just there to be Colson's asexual 'lover' who promptly vanished offscreen. It was tackily presented when it could have been a really, really big, juicy and well told murder mystery and exploration of that kind of mentality, as opposed to just exploitative. It could have been so much more. It was actually, I have to say this now, a great idea.

Edited by Vee