AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Sometimes, I forget how much I loved writing about AMC. I wish my job gave me time to continue working on the History Project.

Here is a blog entry I wrote about my general disdain for recast of Ruth Martin. I loved Mary so much, seeing Lee was always a hard pill for me to swallow: http://amchistory.blogspot.com/search?q=mary+fickett

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

When I watched the December 1988 episode, which took place soon after Laura's death, I was reminded of Mimi Torchin saying she was much more affected by Laura's death than by BJ's on General Hospital, because she'd seen Laura grow up. The grief of everyone involved in that episode was so hard to take - I think the part which got me most was Barbara packing up Laura's video game system sad.png Even though AMC stopped mentioning Babrara's role in Laura's death, viewers never forgot - I remember someone writing in to SPW blasting Barbara as a hypocrite for saying Erica had kept a baby from its mother.

I also like that we just heard of a sick child, offcamera, who needed a transplant, instead of what we get now, which is OMG let's find some kid on the canvas to give cancer for about a week!

Julia Barr was incredible in the scene where she went back home, numb, only allowing herself to break down when she found a toy of Laura's. Both she and Dick Shoberg played the numbness so believably, it was just painful. And David Canary, always playing a strong yet supporting role in these scenes.

I had never seen the first Marisa - not sure of her name. I had seen the divine Nancy Addison, who just looked a little twitchy and struggled with a dud role. The first Marisa seemed fine to me, perhaps not overly charismatic, but OK. I wonder why they felt the need to recast her when they later did not recast slightly dull actresses like the woman who played Corvina.

I don't understand why AMC broke up Natalie and Jeremy. I thought they had plenty of chemistry in this episode, and even just seeing them once, I hated knowing they were going to be split soon. Natalie still looked glam here, and wasn't being called DOLLDOLLDOLLDOLL every few minutes.

Here's NAA as Marisa.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I think Laura's death provided some interesting drama but I often wonder if the long term fallout is worth it. I think the whole process of making Brooke so needy did horrific damage to her character and it seemed to happen piece by piece (although the worst probably came from the marriage with Tad).

• Members

I loved how they played up Barbara's guilt when she was pregnant with Molly. She was afraid of being a bad mother because of what happened to Laura under her watch. She still carried so much guilt over the incident. I mean talk about penance and redemption, soaps, especially AMC in recent years, just do not write this way anymore. It was so clear there was a longer term plan when Laura Cudahy met her untimely demise.

Richard Shoberg remembered the Laura storyline fondly in my interview with him: http://pinevalleybul...iewShoberg.html

Edited by AMCHistory

• Members

Kathleen decided to leave on her own volition. The show was at an inflecting point, where they fell into a bit of a slump with a lot of veterans floating around doing nothing (e.g., Vasili Bogazianos, Candice Earley, Robert Gentry). It was the Behr revolution that saw most of those actors part ways with the company.

Noone's departure I remember was a biog deal as she was a fan favourite. I do think Mark LaMura was forced out as a result of Ellen's departure (giving the long-standing couples decade long romance the proper send-off).

Noone would of course reprise her role only once, for the 25th Anniversary show... a very welcome cameo.

• Members

Thanks for the response.

I like Ellen because she seems like a strong woman, but she's not over-the-top. It's like you could know someone like her in real life... sort of like Brooke. I love my Erica, of course, but she's so larger than life that it sometimes would get grating.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

I think Kathleen was so captivating in the role of Ellen. Though a major supporting player in the mid-80's story-wise, she was definitely a scene stealer. I loved that she went toe-to-toe with Erica, but was never a rival. She was precursor the "Erica/Opal" relationship under the Larson recast. I also think that she shared so much chemistry with James Mitchell... a Palmer/Ellen relationship would be so interesting not only because of her marriage to Ross, but her closeness with Adam. I could see Adam and Palmer and rivals for Ellen's affection.

I love what Bill Mooney (ex-Paul Martin) told me about Kathleen:

I think the undoing of the Paul/Ellen relationship is what sidelined the Paul Martin character. I would loved to have seen him as more of a rival to Mark. This was especially unfortunate because the Anne Tyler recast, Gwynn Gillis, was such a failure. Mooney would even admit that Judith Barcroft was a hard act to follow.