AMC: Susan Lucci/Wendi Malick interview-TV Guide

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can see why Lucci would dislike SoapDish, since Sally Field was specifically parodying her. Her character was a needy, insecure, aging, emoting diva whose only friend on the set was the HW. It wasn't like Tootsie, with its gentle poke at soaps. I might've taken it personally too.

• Members

Hmm... I think that's, maybe, kinda the point. She said right in the article that she doesn't mind the parody as long as it's truthful, and she felt Soapdish wasn't truthful, therefore she didn't like it. But, come on. A petite, brunette NYC soap opera diva? You'd either have to be dense or willingly turn a blind eye not to know who they were spoofing. I was 12 when that movie came out and even I knew what was going on. <_<

• Members

"But, come on. A petite, brunette NYC soap opera diva? You'd either have to be dense or willingly turn a blind eye not to know who they were spoofing."

That's what I'm saying. I had this very debate with a soap fan friend several years ago and she was saying that just because I was a Lucci fan I was projecting. That Celeste could be any soap diva. Personal character details aside, the "skeleton" is definitely there.

Add me to the list of folks who didn't know that SL disliked Soap Dish. Maybe some things hit a little too close to home, as even she jokingly admits. But as far as not ringing true, I think that was more in terms of technical elements. You can't tell me that there aren't people in the business who show those levels of insecurity, stupidity, and avarice. I do remember reading that Cady McClain didn't like it ("They made us all look like idiots.")

And though Maggie wasn't dressed like Erica I would say that Celeste was similarly dressed like Susan (not that I think Nolan Miller was flipping through back issues of SOW studying Susan's look by any means... btw, remember how she used to make People magazine's Worst Dressed list?).

Archived