Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Bill Bell seemed to have dusted off some of the 1984, 1985 Victor/Ashley storyline when he alluded to Victor/Christine in 1996.

Ashley/Christine both were placed in Victor's orbit in a professional capacity (Mergeron takeover/Nick's trial). Victor recognized Ashley's business skills/Christine's legal skills thus the job offer at Mergeron/Christine joining the legal team at Newman Enterprises. Victor supported Ashley/Christine when they were at turning points in their lives (Ashley's emotional breakdown in the aftermath of her learning about her parentage/Christine's broken engagement to Paul).

Victor/Ashley connected over their parental issues. Christine also had parental issues (growing up without a father and being estranged from her mother for many years) but I don't believe that it was ever brought up again after Jessica died and Jim left.

Big difference is that Victor became involved with Ashley while he kept himself in the friend zone with Christine (that I think had to do with Christine's past as a survivor of both date rape and sexual harassment, plus Victor knew Christine still loved Paul and Christine knew Victor still loved Nikki so they weren't going to be each other's rebounds).

Of course Nikki had epic confrontations with both Ashley (at the ranch) and Christine (at Legal Aid and at the hospital). I think of all the rivals Nikki had for Victor, Ashley and Christine threatened her the most and brought out all her insecurities. Nikki the OG ho turned housewife that hadn't really accomplished much in her life whereas Ashley/Christine both are intelligent, educated, and have successful careers. With Ashley there was the added element of class differences (Nikki from a working class background and Ashley from a wealthy family) and with Christine there were the added elements of age and attitude differences (Nikki older snooty lady of the manor and Christine younger and kind-hearted).

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Interesting…Danny’s earliest years mystify me. I’ve seen some sources mention he came on as early as 1980 but I had have zero clue what he was doing other than occasionally hanging out with Paul and Andy. I’m familiar with his 1983-84 involvement with Lauren, Traci, and Patty but then there is a gap concerning Danny, except his summertime charity concerts lol until 1988 or so when of course he gets involved with Cricket.

I know it’s been said Bell adored Patty Weaver and she had been a leading lady at Days, but it’s unfortunate Gina never amounted to much either on Y&R

• Members

Danny was mostly involved with Patty, I think many of his appearances were also him singing or doing something with his singing career. By the time Patty married Jack, Traci came on board and he split his time between being a friend to both and his singing. 

I don't think Danny was appearing more than a few times a month, so he didn't have much story initially. 

Also it isn't clear when he went on contract the first time. Maybe when he joined or maybe months after. He still seems like a recurring character in those earlier years. 

Edited by will81

• Members

Patty moved from days to Y&rR within a month I think-might have even been a week.

Gina the ex con- did she sleep with Jack?

Anyway she had story with Neil/Lauren story but then that was pretty much it. There was the Clint romance years later but even that was secondary to the Marge saga.

I wonder when she got involved with Jerry Birn? That probably cemented her place on the show and maybe she wasn't fussed not to be a lead.

Would love to see Gina back.

• Members

There was a few months gap between Days and Y&R. She didn't show up on Y&R until Nov 1982 and she had left Days in August.

I had heard Patty wanted to be recurring so she could focus on other things and was happy to just pop up from time to time. I was pretty sure her music career was a bigger focus, at least back in the 70's/early 80's. Or maybe Bell put her on recurring and she was happy to do it.

Not sure when they started dating but the first press article on them is 1994 and they married around Jan 1996

Yes Gina slept with Jack, I think a couple of times. He also helped her buy Jonas' place in return for a room in the place. Which worked out well when John kicked him out of the house because of his affair with Jill.

Yeah I think Patty was placed on recurring around 1985 when the Neil/Gina romance ended and Jim Storm was let go. Not sure if she was ever on contract again, don't think so or maybe just for a short period. 

Edited by will81

• Members

Thanks for clearing that up re Patty/Gina

Now on to Danny and Andy

Looking over synopses from that time Danny is hardly mentioned well into 82, so maybe he was recurring.

Wonder how that worked?

Was Danny's intro during a writer's strike? Maybe he was a Conboy hire?

Maybe Conboy pushed for him so Bill agreed and wanted to see him onscreen to decide where to go with the character. I think Danny was a waiter at the Allegro. Maybe there was a scene with Leo to introduce him and he probably met Patty there.

Same with Andy. When and how was he introduced? He seemed to be linked with Jill pretty quickly. Was he  a school teacher at first-is that how he connected with Jill?

Does anyone remember?