DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Edmonton Journal Jan 15 1993

Soap icon asked to leave Days of Our Lives plays leave CONNIE PASSALACQUA United Media Hollywood

Days of Our Lives has asked the liveliest of soap icons, Susan Seaforth Hayes (who plays Julie Williams), to leave the show. Hayes came back to Days of Our Lives two years ago (without her on-screen and real-life husband, Bill Hayes, who had played Doug), after a six-year absence. Doug and Julie were, of course, the soap supercouple of the early '70s, as the Hayeses mixed sexual sizzle with real love, creating a long-term, genuine sense of bonhomie with the show's fans. In 1990, NBC hyped Seaforth Hayes' return to Days of Our Lives with wealthy, "divorced" Julie supposedly set to be the adversary to evil Victor Kiriakis (played by John Aniston). Instead, spunky Julie became a sounding board for the show's often-mundane younger characters.

Her rightful slot on the show was taken by Louise Sorel (who plays Vivian Alamain), who arrived a year ago after playing fabulous vixen Augusta Lockridge on Santa Barbara. Most soaps don't have room for more than one woman in the fifty-something range. What a shame! Seaforth Hayes came back as fiery as ever and looking great. But stupidly, Julie was hardly ever used in the story, which squandered Seaforth Hayes' talent and sparkle. Julie is, of course, a key member of the show's core family, the Hortons, whose presence goes back to the show's first episode in 1965.

Also leaving Days of Our Lives for personal reasons, is Patsy Pease. Since coming back to the show alter tending to the serious health problems of her baby son, Russell. Pease had been starring in a splashy story line that has been meant to he the daytime equivalent of The Three Faces of Eve. Her three identities have been Kimberly, Lacey and Clare. Taking Pease's place will be multisoap veteran Ariane Chase, who, as Ariane Munker was best known for her portrayal of walking headache Marianne Randolph (1975-77) on Another World. Mari Dusay (who formerly played Myrna Clegg on Capitol) filled in for Louise Sorel on Days of Our Lives recently, after Sorel injured her back during a trip to New York Cily. Dusay, who's also great at witchy roles, is said to be a major contender for the role of Alexandra Spaulding on Guiding Light, a role that was vacated last summer by the incomparable Beverlee McKinsey. Just when are they going to cast that role? This is currently the best back-stage cliffhanger in the soap world. Hey, Seaforth Hayes might be a fair choice!

• Members

Before Reilly spun Vivian right off the edge, I had forgotten how similar her character had been to what Julie had been in the past, and to what they likely were expecting Julie to be upon her return. Marj Dusay's short run really highlighted the dangerous vixen energy Vivian was meant to have, and it's really unfortunate they didn't have much of a place for Julie in this era, other than to be Milquetoast Molly's sounding board.

• Members

SSH was fired on 1993 but did return in 1994, 1996.. don't forget Suzanne rogers (Maggie).. she too didn't have any storyline during the 90's (after the Sarah/Neil reveal). and also the show had Jaime Lyn Bauer .. 

and Deidra did dominate most stories in the 90s.. 

so I can understand why producers let SSH go.. 

She is best-known for her work on the daytime soap opera Days of Our Lives in the role of Julie Olson Williams, which she played continuously from 1968 to 1984 and again from 1990 to 1993, with recurring appearances in 1994 and 1996. Since 1999, she has appeared on the show in a recurring capacity, often doing double duty between "Days" and "Y&R", in one case appearing on both shows on the very same day, a feat possible because of their different shooting and airing schedules.

• Members

I can actually see why SSH was let go as well.  Between Maggie, Kate, Vivian, and Laura there wasn't a lot for SSH to do.  I would take Marlena/John out of the equation because they were still playing "younger" than that group in the 90's.  I think if Julie would have had better staying power if both Doug and KA's Hope returned a little earlier.  

I really never saw any parallels to Julie/Vivian until reading that.  It is true Vivian did take Julie's place.  I have trouble picturing Julie vs. Kate though.

• Members

I love 1994!

Yeah, it isn't a slight to SSH.  Victor was really the only available love interest for her at the time.  I suppose the show could have created a love interest for her, but I don't think the audience wanted her with anyone other than Doug.  As it was, Julie was spending a lot of time at Alice's restaurant meddling in the Tanner/Molly relationship.  It just wasn't a great fit at the time.  

• Members

I was watching the most wonderful scene on TikTok of the day that Alice met Vivian in the hospital, and Julie & Vivian were both wearing the same dress.  Which given this article is an ironic use of foreshadowing SSH's redundancy.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift