DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

according According to this source, and Entertainment Weekly, Marlena's return made an immediate impact of a 10% increase in viewers, but I checked Jason's page and they finished 1991 in 7th place

increase in viewershttps://t

Please register in order to view this content

witter.com/Jo

I think it's odd that a 10% increase could cause a show to go from #8 to #2 in 1991, but the shows were quite close in ratings and after the initial interest fell off the ratings dwindled.  All things considered they really fumbled that opportunity.  I'd be interested to know how many viewers Hope's 1994 return pulled in, but I can't find that information as quickly.

eiscool1981/sta

tus/1289982420905730049?s=20&t=fsJ7ktvVuJwOHMM0bnxreAps://twitter.com/Joeiscool1981/status/1289982420905730049?s=20&t=fsJ7ktvVuJwOHMM0bnxreAhttps://twitter.com/Joeiscool1981/status/1289982420905730049?s=20&t=fsJ7ktvVuJwOHMM0bnxreA

Edited by j swift

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You would think a jump from #8 to #2 would be more than 10% lol.   But I think we can all agree the oppurtunity was squandered especially after Marlena/RoJohn's great pier reunion.  RoJohn just left her in a flea bag motel and nothing really happened until RealRoman returned and even that was so convoluted.  I think I have said here more than once that story somehow was so quick and not explained well but also seemed to drag on forever lol.  There was also some weird stories happening at the time that weren't interesting to bring in new viewers.  I don't want to get my time periods off and name them, but everything else happening was kind of boring unless you were a big Carly fan.

I would like to know what the ratings were for Hope's return as well, but I think it's a bit of a different animal because 1. it was Kristian Alfonso returning not Hope specifically at the time and 2. the huge story arc of Maison Blanche was ending and I don't think it's as clear as Deidre Hall returning as Marlena.   I don't recall anything "big" happening at the same time as her return.  I do think the ratings were on an upswing back in 1994 though or at least they should have been because that was a great time period for Days.  Hope/Gina's return seem to fit more seamlessly into to the show overall while Deidre's felt like Deidre as Marlena was returning if that makes sense lol.

• Members

These are the ratings for May/June 94.

Not sure when exactly Kristian returned but there was a big jump

May 2-6 #5 5.1/18

May 9-13 # 5.2/19

May 16-20 #5.4/19

May 23-27 #4 5.7/20

May 30 -June 3 #2 6.2/22

June 6-10 #2 6.4/22

Days held onto 2nd and 3rd throughout June and July

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Briefly skimming synopsis for that time the last week of May appears to be when Hope/Gina is revealed to all and the climax/ending of Maison Blanche (Roman saving John/Marlena, Tony getting blinded, Stefano's escape).  The only other stories of note I could see was Sami's rape and Vivian finding out she's pregnant with Phillip.  I think it's safe to say you can attribute at least some of the jump to KA's return.

• Members

I have old SOD's from 1991-1993, and after all the continuous speculation about Manhattan Lives, Coming Of Age, as well as the worry about Another World getting the ax and the last-ditch casting efforts to save Santa Barbara, it's pretty remarkable that we ended up with only 2 soaps by '93, both of which are the longest-standing shows. You would've thought for sure SB would've been replaced by a new sudser.