Anderson Cooper: The Next Oprah?

bellcurve

• Members

You've got alot of good points there. If you think of who has been the most successful in the talk show arena throughout history, you have people are really personable, accesible EMOTIONALLY... and that very well may be Anderson's Achilles heel. Each of the most successful, Oprah, Dinah Shore, Mike douglas, Rosie, Merv Griffin, are all different from each other, but all share a common thread as well... and that's that ability to endear an audience like you said. And yet.. Rosie let her power go to her head, and turned from the "Queen of nice" into a "Loudmouthed dyke". And I don't say that lightly.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, all of those names you gave, you kind of smile warmly at the mere mention of their names. I think Anderson is perfect for the job he has now, he is an interesting anchor-like personality who gets to show glimpses of his witty real-life persona, he's always popular when he subs for Regis for example. But even still, would anyone ever call him "warm"? I don't think so. And I think people need "warm" if you're going to be an Oprah-like mega media in-my-home-every-day-I-do-everything-you-tell-me-to-do personality. Ellen is fun but there is something I just don't trust about her, I would have guessed that she was a stark raving bitch perfectionist BTS before I'd have guessed Rosie. Not bitchy all the time of course, but just very protective of her image and climb to the top. Folks like Dinah and Mike, you could just sit and talk to them all day, they had NO agendas. Sigh, remember those days?

I hardly do! :lol:

• Members

That was so nice, so charming and laid back, like they had nowhere else to be. And the clothes! I mean, I know The Jacksons were in costume, but McLean's jacket...

I can't see how a nice lady like Dinah got involved with a snake like Burt. Actually, am I being fair? Was he a sleaze or did he just look it?

• Members

I know... that jacket was something else, wasn't it? that's what I miss. COLOR, distinct style, panache. In the last decade, I can't really point to a specific style how people looked. Sometime in the 90's we lost our way... and now everyone dresses so BORING, so afraid of color (Except Joan Collins) I think 20 years from now, people will look back on today and be saying "How could we have been so BORING!! Everyone looks like they just came from a funeral!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived