Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm working on an episode listing from 1979 foward and wondering if anyone remembers how CBS (ATWT/GL) handled Thanksgiving and Christmas pre-emptions from 1979 to 2009. In the more recent years, they always aired football. Was that always the case, or were there actual ATWT and GL episodes on Thanksgiving (and the day after) and Christmas at some point? Thanks!!

• Members

Someone else will remember better but I honestly don't remember any episodes ever airing on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Apparently an episode aired the day after Thanksgiving in 2001, unless the Youtube dates are wrong. Christmas Day usually had football or repeats of classic episodes, I think.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I don't think they aired episodes either. At some point cable took over airing the college games---but that certainly wasn't until the '90's or later. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's were always short weeks---that's one of the reasons "New Year's Eve" baby Parker wasn't born on air until the 6th of January. The US Open cut into the weeks around Labor Day, and I think I remember Memorial Day being preempted for racing too for some years.

• Members

Back to the character of Matt. Jay hired him to work at his construction company and was then persuaded to take on his brother Chip.Matt discovers that Chip is planning a robbery and he and Jay follow them to try and stop it. Chip is injured and it all ends up with a hostage situation at the hospital.John was shot.That seemed to be the end of Matt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Right there with you. This was one of the things that I loved about ATWT - they cast so many trained actors. They weren't always the best looking or your typical hair model (although they were hardly dogs), but they sure could act. Probably more than any other soap, they few hair models/pretty boys stuck out in a much more magnified way. Of course, that started to change by 2000.

• Members

Roger,

No episodes were usually aired on Thanksgiving and the Friday after. Thursdays would have been football or a holiday special, and Friday's would have been some holiday special, as well. I admit, 1979 would have been hazy for me, as I was still very young. I just don't remember being able to watch the CBS soaps during Thanksgiving vacation.