Actor and Actress to leave Y&R?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry, it has nothing to do with direction. Miller has proven time and time again he can't handle emotional-driven material, and he cannot cry to save his life. So, the incompetent writers write to his abilities - which is often just grunting, moaning, yelling, hyperactive jumps and laughs, and showing his big-ass teeth. Not much there. They totally disregard who the character was and still should be just to suit what they think Miller can pull off.

• Members

I have no idea why Y&R would covet ABC stars considering the ratings over the past few years. Billy Miller does remind me of realJack (forgot original actor's name. I don't think Miller is the problem. TPTB have tired to give him light, dressed down story as opposed to giving him any sort of serious situations. It kind of reminds me of now they had Nick break free of Victor and open the stupid coffee house. I guess these characters are supossed to come off as light, fun, sexy.

I don't think Y&R will ever do a serious gay romance story. 25% of their viewers are men and, most probably, a lot of these are retired and older. ATWT was always really steady in the male demo, third or fourth place, until Nuke, at which point the male demo dropped like a rock. We can't ignore that there are major generational and social divisions in our society and that soaps seem to draw a very small and 'tradional' viewership. I wish someone would do serious research to see whether soap viewers are more homophobic than primetme. I remember reading something about stay at home moms trending Republican. (I'm gay, live in a large city, and ofen forget that a majority of the country thinks like Bill O'Rielly and his 'traditionalist' argument. I still do't think the writers were trying to be homophobic with the Adam story. A sociopath does anything to win. I also think Y&R used this along with the Phillip story to see how the topic of gay would work for ratings. I found it really strange that the Adam/Rafe week had a drop in ratings while. overall, the gaslighting story rated well. Maybe people are more at ease with a fetus in the fireplace than a manly kiss?

Overall, Y&R is still the top soap in writing and ratings. I'm glad that Mac and JT are leaving because the show has too many characters! Also, JT was so boring and lame this week when he checked out Murphy's car and went all Magnum PI. He and Mac came off as a cheap CSI parody. I've never understood the charm of JT or Paul. Both characters come off as weak and certainly lack an hero quality. Soap does the PI/cop/crime theme badly and should just avoid it. Also, a lot of this comes down to sex appeal. Billy, who is a total smuck, is nontheless, a lot sexier than boyscout JT. People often get off on the character who needs to be fixed, redeemed, and that is a major part of the charm. The majority of soap characters live or die on thier ability to convey sexuality. That is probably why we didn't see Liz Foster very much ;)

• Members

To me Miller has none of the natural charm or chemistry with co-stars Terry Lester had. He also looks too haggard to believably be light or fun IMO.

I think that those at Y&R feel great shame about their show, either that or Barbara Bloom does. Bill Bell often hired actors who were new to soaps or new to major TV work. Or he hired people he knew and trusted. They think their show will be worthy if they keep bringing in people from primetime or from other shows. The desperate rush to cast people in the same AMC storyline was a real low point.

What manly kiss? The only thing they ever did was fix each other's ties. That's not a joke either. That really is all they did.

The show very clearly made sure all the gay-related stories were about weak, pathetic men, or men who were ashamed of themselves. The audience never had a choice in whether to accept gay stories or not.

• Members

Since well does Billy Miller look haggard? He's the like a jock who lives at GNC. Kevin, Cane and Daniel look haggard but darn eye circles seem to be in these days. Most of the OLTL guys have the dope chic look. Haggard or not, most of these guys are still hot. Personally, I like Billy Miller is eye candy...Yum ;) JT is more like sugar free eye candy--he may not rot your teeth but he wouldn't taste all that good, either.

• Members

I didn't think it was his choice either but I am very happy that they are giving them both a farewall party. They both seem like lovely people. I think Thad actually has a project that is going to be starting soon so he is already ahead of the game and probably will be happy this happened in the long run.

I dread the other cast members who are about to be cut but it has to be done. :(

• Members

HAHA--just for the camp value it would be great! Meggie could tackle JT and hold his head under water while she does a Kung Fu move on Mac knocking her, too, into the lake.

I bet Daniel is the next to go. They will probably make him a famous artist and send him off to NYC or London. Heather seems to be MIA and would love her gone APAP. Ronan is lame. I just hope TPTB do not flood Y&R will ex ATWT talent. It was my favorite soap but feel like CBS is trying to retain viewers by tossing Oakdale vets into Genoa City. KHM would be a great KC Reed but they already have too many characters in that age group.

Archived