ATWT Casting News (1) It's a good one.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is super exciting. It would be hard to send ATWT off without seeing John one last time. Glad everyone could come to an agreement, and I hope that seeing LB on our screen is enough for other soap operas to take an interest in getting him on their shows after ATWT is done :D

That's a lot to ask for someone over 25 though :P and not from AMC or GH

• Members

True. However, in terms of temperament or disposition, doesn't cocksure Reid remind you more of Duke than of Andy? Also, being the openly gay son of a former boxer -- I'm sorry, but that dynamic is just loaded with possibilities.

What if Duke and Lien broke up because Duke, insecure about Lien's success as a law student, cheated on her with the woman who'd become Reid's mother? (Of course, when they did split, Lien didn't tell Duke she was pregnant, too; so, if/when that secret comes to light....) If Reid knew all along the circumstances behind his conception and birth, his relationship with Duke would be difficult (to say the least) despite Duke's strained efforts to bond with him, b/c he'd know he was just an inconvenient "accident" for Duke, and that if not for him, Duke and Lien would still be together. Also, even though I would hardly label Duke as a homophobe, nevertheless, you have to wonder how an "alpha male" such as he would take the discovery of his son's homosexuality.

Yet, despite their differences, Reid chose to follow in the footsteps of his father, as well as grandfather, and become a doctor -- perhaps, in an effort to "please" Duke? So, what if Luke recognizes that fact and that maybe -- just maybe -- medicine isn't Reid's true calling? All John would care about, I think, is that Reid is good at his work (and not whether he was gay) and wouldn't want anything or anyone to screw that up; but if Luke were to bring John, then Duke, around by, say, publishing a novel Reid had written and then quickly put away behind Reid's back....

Finally, consider this: when Duke lived before with John, he and Lucinda did not get along. In fact, if memory serves me correct, didn't Lucinda initially bring Aaron's mother, Julie, to Oakdale in order to get between the two? Imagine, therefore, the potential for conflict if Duke were to find out that his son had become romantically involved with her grandson, with John, Lily, Luke and Reid all somehow caught in the middle?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just noticed this, a week after you posted it.

I barely remember Duke. I had just started watching when he debuted. I think I remember him finding some important papers in a fancy box in Lucinda's LR. Everyone was new to me then, and it's so long since he was on, I don't remember much about him. I didn't recall he was a boxer, for example. How long was he on?

I wouldn't mind the scenario you're suggesting at all, though I believe the actor who played Duke died awhile back. And I think there'd be a certain poetic justice to Son of John v. Son of Bob taking over as chief of staff at Memorial.

• Members

That's down the road, after Duke has decided to relocate to Oakdale permanently (at John's insistence) in order to get closer to his son, Reid. (However, in an ironic twist, Bob reluctantly throws his support toward Duke, b/c he isn't sure whether Chris is mature enough to handle the responsibility.)

Archived