DOOL: "The New Plan to Save Days" 2010 Edit

• Members

I guess admittedly I am apart of that *later generation*, so that is the way I remember DAYS. Any way you slice it, after that Cruise of Deception, I simply wanted more of that *ish lol! Despite my displeasure with the current state of things, I definitely agree Tomlin deserves some credit for making the show watchable again (especially with Higley writing). On the real tip, I don't even think he is the problem here. Whitesell and Higley just seem to be incompatible as writers. I see no reason why there can't be campy elements amid character-driven elements, and have it be sustainable--its all about balance. JER was able to sustain his take on DAYS his entire run (a long-term plan helped too), and only after he left did his imitators fail to do so, seemingly from sloppy storytelling.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been saying this for ages.

Not only does darker lighting help to hide the cheapness of the sets and make the show look more rich and expensive, it somehow makes the stories seem more dramatic and... I dunno... moody. Atmospheric.

Your assessment that the show looks cheap and starchy is right on the money. Starchy is the perfect word. It was perfect for AMC and now it's perfect for Days. Sad.

• Members

:::sigh::: Oh, Kenny... remember when this show was OFF-THE-CHAIN?! Hahaha... oh well, at least I have my dozens and dozens of VHS tapes and DVD's of the possession story and tapes of Aremid... now if only I could get my hands on everything 1993-1994.

• Members

ITA. One thing that might help would be to focus more on night time scenes and less on "day" scenes. I remember when Y&R would have lots of scenes at Jabot and Newman that took place "after hours" -- they would have night skyline or "dark" in windows. It created a very dramatic, mysterious effect. On top of it, the confrontations took greater importance because of this. I know this is a shocker, but I've been watching EON episodes recently and the difference between the night scenes are days scenes was 10 fold. (And, that was a show that was definitely on the cheap.)

• Members

I've said this before, but it always amazed me how EON's longtime producer, Erwin "Nick" Nicholson, was able to procure so much from so little. Then again, as good as the stories often were, you never really bothered to notice. ;-)

Archived