Y&R: Former AMC & GL Actor Joins Show

Guest dc cubs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really. The satire was there from the very beginning. JER was poking fun at classic soap tropes from the get-go. You're confusing "satire" with "spoof".

Yes it does legitimize it. It proves that JER was right, that this is what soaps are all about and why they're dying off.

• Members
How so? Can you give me some examples?

There was nothing satirical about Passions. Period. Reilly was good at crappy camp, but he was never a satirist. :rolleyes: You're making it sound like Passions was a TV version of The New Yorker. Clever and subtle, Reilly never was.

And for the record, I definitely watched the first three months and there was no attempt at making fun of soap operas in the very beginning. Reilly was hoping that his paranormal/sci-fi + romance blend would work on this show the same way it worked on DAYS in 95. Problem with that is a.) He didn't have a strong technical producer to reign his awful ideas in(say as much sh*t as you want about Bell-Trained Langan, but he made that sh*t work during Reilly 1.0) b.) He had a really green and weak cast and c.) Reilly proved that he was a one-trick pony.

So soaps are all about outrageous incest stories, bad acting, promoting homophobia, and Catholicism? Really?!

Reilly definitely made a point when he wrote Passions. He made it a point to drive his loyal viewers who actually watched this crap insane and he used Passions to project his own misogynistic, homophobic, religious views onto whoever was stupid enough to watch it. So yeah, Passions was legit. Legitimately a hot steaming pile of sh*t.

• Members

Apparently not.

And to say a sh*t show like Passions set the "tone" for the modern daytime drama is just bull. Sunset Beach did in three years what Passions did in its nine years on the air 10X better(except for, maybe "Love is Ecstasy" which was just a very off the chain track and musical number).

I liked Reilly 1.0 at DAYS and I really expected Passions to just be a darker, more intense, higher budgeted DAYS. Man, was I wrong.

• Members

I hated everything Reilly wrote for DAYS; therefore, my expectations for PASSIONS were low. Nevertheless, I gave it a chance. Trouble was, after just two episodes, I couldn't stand it anymore, b/c the acting was just that awful.

Back to Jeff Branson: after watching yesterday's Y&R, I'm wondering if he's a Ryder recast. They sure left that plot point open-ended, didn't they?

• Members

Yeah, except, instead of a brain tumor, we find out Nina's long-lost son, Howie, has been masquerading as Chance and holding the real Chance hostage w/ help from David Kimble's kids.

• Members

The actor is not the problem with the Chance character. I know alot of people like to blame Driscoll for how awful the chance character is, but he can only act what is written. They haven't given him anything remotely interesting to play. It's like Coop 2.0. If they gave Driscoll another beat to play, I'm sure he would be able to play it.

Jeff Branson would not be an upgrade. He would be just as boring because they don't want to write anything remotely interesting for this character. Unless they decide to turn him into a psycho overnight.

Honoring history that's all "by design." Even if it was on another show.

• Members

Wow, a psycho veteran. Y&R really would be stealing from ABC with that type of story, wouldn't they?

They can do the Nik/Mary/Emily story for Chance and Chloe. It even had a doppleganger...

Archived