Y&R: Jamey Giddens on MAB

• Members

JAMEY GIDDENS ON MAB .......

"THIS IS SO GREAT!!!!! MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN HE COMMENTED ON THE WAY SHE KEEPS MENTIONING BB AND THE WAY SHE SHE BUILDS HERSELF UP.......

Since we've already gone there (sigh), let's move over to CBS, where daytime's top soap (chugs Sky Vodka from a coffee mug), Y&R lost 128,000 total viewers over the previous week. Y&R also went down one-tenth of a ratings point in households and among women 18-49. It will be interesting to see what the ratings will look like for Y&R after the absolutely ****-tastic week the serial just finished— which, as Imentioned, Iam unfortunately caught up on. The reveal Friday that Mama Bear had Lauren Fenmore's ( Tracey Bregman ) sexylicious face was the most awful, asinine, insipid (opens up new browser menu for thesaurus.com ), stinky mess I've seen on daytime in at least 10 years, and that's saying a lot.

We lambasted Lynn Marie Latham for, among other things, giving Sheila Carter, Phyllis's face, now Maria Arena Bell is doing not one, but TWO similarly *******, plot driven stories at the SAME TIME! Un-friggin-believable. Here's a little advice to Auntie Ri Ri , STOP mentioning your late, great daddy-in-law's name in those self-congratulatory interviews until you re-earn your surname and legacy by FIXINGTHISDAMNEDSOAPOPERA!

Yep, I'm like a dog with a bone about this, Iwon't let up until the Bells do, and they give us the rich, psychologically-resonant, CHARACTER driven soap operas their patriarch did for generations. LaToya is a Jackson too, but no one makes the mistake of comparing her to Michael or Janet —Miss Jackson if you Nasty— so I am beyond over comparisons of Maria and/or Brad to the late Bill Bell , until they once again prove they are worthy— on my TV, not in an interview where no one asks, "Why in high hell are you two writing so many awful, ridiculous storylines at the same time?" Iwouldn't wipe my **** with a Bell Dramatic script right now for fear it would give me a rash of stupidity, which is SOfrustrating because Iknow both can do much better, I've seen it. I've PRAISEDit. Come on Bells, STEPUP! Make us love you again."

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2010/04/10/ratings-rants-and-raves-when-did-the-bell-soap-operas-become-twin-exercises-in-hackery

I just want to share it with y'all ....any thoughts?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everything Jamey said = +1. But I have to wonder why Jamey chose to speak up NOW?! Why did he wait until now to speak out about how absolutely wretched this show has become? Was he denied access somewhere? Is he, as a black man, finally fed up with the lack of minority representation and the Tonya Lee Williams "that black storyline" thing finally push him over the cliff? Not that he really needs to kiss Maria's ass to get disgruntled employees or ex-employees talking for scoops on his blog. I guess he and Casiello are no longer buds though. :(

Regardless, people are taking the blinders off and waking the f*ck up about these ridiculous Bell shows that are pathetic shells of their former glory. Brad Bell recycles his and his father's greatest hits, Maria recycles everyone else's in daytime. Both of these soaps make Sunset Beach look like high-brow, masterpiece theater.

• Members

Putting all my cards on the table: I like Jamey Giddens, even if I don't always agree with his opinions about Mo Benard "killing it" or Billy & Vamptoria. But if anybody has been listening to the DC podcasts, they'd know that the DC contributors have not been happy with Y&R for a good long while. This is the first time, though, that Jamey has put it all down in one, big mega-rant.

Perhaps, as you suggest, DC and other bloggers held back from jumping all over Y&R's tailfeather because they were afraid of getting their access to the show cut off. People have been posting their unhappiness with Y&R for ages on DC and Nelson Branco's FB page. I don't think DC could ignore that groundswell of feeling anymore (though Branco, sadly, remains deafening in his silence). The last two weeks in particular represent "the straw that broke the camel's back." I wonder if some blamed the entirety of the show's troubles on nuAdam/Michael Muhney were waiting to see him leave. However, his absence has not made things better -- if anything, it has exposed just how awful and hollow Y&R is on ALL counts.

And don't you be knocking Sunset Beach! :lol: It never pretended to be Masterpiece Theatre. It was what it was -- an Aaron Spelling soap parody with (IMO) some great characters and hugely enjoyable moments.

• Members

SuBe was a masterpiece for me because it kept me steadily entertained for two years. Annie Douglas was my girl! But SuBe is being compared to "Masterpiece Theatre," a PBS programme showcasing these BBC costume dramas like Jane Eyre and Bleak House. Obviously Sunset Beach is not Charlotte Bronte, lol.

• Members

Jamey also let loose in the latest DC podcast "Performer of the Week." Yvonne Zima (or "non-acting girl" as she is now dubbed) gets a dishonorable mention, which is a no-brainer. But so do the Y&R IIC and JG just goes off on them.

"My dishonorable mention goes to MAB, Paul Rauch, Hogan Sheffer and Scott Hamner. For deciding that it made anybody's horse-sense to embark on a second Evil Twin SL in the midst of another Evil Twin SL in the midst of an Is Adam or is he Not Dead? SL in the midst of an explosion SL in the midst of a plot-driven nightmare that has become the Young and the Restless."

"It just makes it worse when these self-congratulatory executives say these stupid, stupid things."

"Maria and Paul obviously think they are doing a bang-up job because they give an interview every week saying that they do."

"Maria has done worse than LML with this. Because at least with LML's stupd re-write of Sheila's history, she handed the story to a capable actress... [not] this drip of a character [Daisy]."

"Maria has proven over and over again that she doesn't have a clue when it comes to casting unvetted talent.... When she tries to go out and get some unknown or Primetime actor, we end up with Clementine Ford. Or Yvonne Zimapop."

"The hype macine at that show is out of control, because then they run and give interviews telling everybody how great they are. It's like 'No, you're not great. You're hacks.' Right now it's hackery and it needs to stop."

The honeymoon is over.

Archived