Characters who were trashed to prop up a couple

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This one is kind of iffy...

But once GH decided to pair Maxie and Spinelli, Georgie was thrown to the wayside and killed, after months of propping them as a couple.

Also:

This is a little bit different, and doesn't necessarily fit in this category, but on GH they did that whole triangle with Liz/Nik/Lucky, to make Liz have a breakdown and get pregnant, all sure fire signs that Liz and Lucky will be back together in the future. They just decided to degrade Liz so it will come off as Lucky taking pity on HER, after years of her taking pity on him. Such a twisted way of doing things.

• Members

This doesn't really fit. When the Liz/Nik affair started Lucky was trashed because GV was in the role. When JJ took over the role of Lucky, Liz was given the rape excuse and made the victim with the breakdown, while Nikolas was trashed.

• Members

either way, i think they really trashed Nikolas and also trashed Liz. I think once JJ returned, they wanted Lucky to look high and mighty, after years of Liz being the "good" one...In a way they were/are propping up Liz/Lucky, but they most definitely tarnished Liz to make Lucky look better, which will definitely be something they remind us of OFTEN when they get back together.

• Members

I agree, that's why I said it didn't really "fit" in this category.

I just have a feeling in the future Lucky and Liz will be back together, and Liz's transgressions will be used against her, and Lucky will be all high and mighty and all "I am willing to help you be a better person and be with you again, if you will let me." which will prop them as a couple while she tries to "get through it". Liz will continued to be deemed a horrible person, and her struggle to work through it with Lucky's "help" will prop them up majorly as a couple. And then there will forever be Nik's tarnished reputation, and later Lucky and Liz will completely blame Nikolas for everything that happened between them.

so, even though it isn't happening right now, I really just think in the future LnL2 will happen again, and the destruction of both Liz and Nik will be used to prop up Lucky and Liz as a couple.

• Members

CW's Annie Dutton rocked it and became the best couple victim EVER! By the time it was over, I wanted Annie caught for setting Reva up, and then I was sorry she was. Delicious!

This is reversed in my book. Nick was the lying cheat who couldn't keep his pants up, and then to push the notion of Nick and Phyllis as some 'great love', instead of two people too sick and selfish to mourn a dead child, Sharon became the big cheater who pushed Nick away. The woman's daughter was dead and Nick and Phyllis were getting it on in any dark corner they could find.

I would add:

BnB: Ridge and taylor

Victim: Brooke Logan

Whenever the writers wanted to try to prove that Brooke wasn't worthy of Ridge's love and wanted to try to force fans to cheer on Ridge and taylor, Brooke had to sleep with one of Ridge's family members so that Stephanie could run screaming about what a ***** Brooke was. Then the writers moved on to her own sons-in-law when Real Brooke was willing to risk her life, her happiness, and even her freedom for her children. Suddenly she was willing to sleep with TWO of her daughter's 'great loves' rather than grind them into dust for even thinking of betraying Bridget? It didn't wash with fans and ratings dropped HARD each time. Real Brooke would have slapped both men backwards. Shame on the writers because they wasted a lot of time and ratings points trying to keep Brooke and Ridge apart all these years (except during sweeps, of course, when they'd make it seem as if Brooke and Ridge were reuniting).

• Members

The weird part is that most of the women who were sacrificed for Josh and Reva didn't come out of it too badly. Sonni/Solita probably would have been a big character if Michelle Forbes had stayed on the show. Annie blew up as a character when she became a bitch. Olivia and Reva as rivals was usually entertaining and Olivia was allowed to transition out of the marriage to Josh and into a triangle with Alan and Phillip.

I did hate what they did to Olivia for Reva/Jeffrey.

I also didn't like what they did to Vanessa for Matt/Beth. And the total rewrite of Beth's personality for Phillip/Harley.

And what they did to poor Nola for Jenna/Buzz.

• Members

I think a lot of people forget that on GL Annie was boring as hell before her secret past with Rick was revealed, it gave the character some edge. Given the character was far more successful after that move the character improved so I don't feel she was trashed, even though Reva was as zany as she was.

Couple: Victor and Sabrina:

Trashed: everyone on the show

Couple: Neil and Carmen

trashed: Dru, Devon

Couple: Roger and Amanda

trashed: Alex, Holly, Ross, Blake, Fletcher

Couple: Jonathan and Tammy

trashed: Alan, Lizzie

• Members

Couple: Lily and Holden , ATWT

Victim: Damian Grimaldi

Anyone who saw the great love of Lily and Damian in the 90s had to be pulling their hair out witnessing the trashing of Damian just to prop up the chemistry-free reunion of nuLily and Holdumb. Damian may have been rash and take-charge when he first met and wooed Lily, but he was never this cheating, manipulative psycho that we saw this time around.

• Members

I wasn't aware in the land of soap drama couples were to stay together forever

Courtney and Jason were trashed to prop Sam

who sat on his couch for years whining and blubbering about a baby and drinking

so Elizabeth and Jason had nothing to do with how she was being written...

Alexis was trashed to prop Sam

Elizabeth was trashed to prop Sam

AJ was destroyed to prop Jason and Carly

Robin took a serious hit too when she propped Jason then Carly

nonstop...then told AJ about carrot top and was the bad guy..

Keesha took a hit too...

Alcazar and Skye was thrown under the bus to prop Jason at the Metro Court

Alcazar was killed by Jaosn with Skye's help and she was sent packing...

the cycle never ends GH soaps have done this since FronsTv

Elizabeth and Jason didn't need propping they predate Sam McCall's arrival

on the show they had story and a fanbase

years prior so I don't get the trash deal when

every woman that leaves Jason Morgan is thrown under the bus,

always have, so why should Sam be any different.

This is how Guza tells his stories deconstruct / construct....he trashes characters to the bare minimum

and rebuilds you don't have to be in a couple for this to occur....characters can just break up

they don't have to become gun toting lunatics who suffered a lapse of judgement.

• Members

So freaking true. The only time I liked Lily is when she was with Damian who refused to let her de-ball him. Damian was an amazingly hot man. I would swoon at the sight of him. I don't care how ATWT tried to destroy him. He was wonderful.

• Members

OLTL

Couple: John/Evangeline

Victim: RJ - He never had a chance against these two. Eva cheats on him, yet he comes across as the villian, who wont leave them alone? I hate how she turned on him. Ironically, she was later thrown under the bus for John/Natalie

Archived