Congress passes landmark health care bill

Eric83

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. When you toss out all the clothes, yes.

I swear, I was watching a bit of Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace last year, and he looks totally QAF. Including the way he was speaking, looking, demeanor, the whole bit. I'd never really "SEEN" him in an interview before. It was just odd.

• Members

It's a step in the right direction, but I have to say, the USA is still miles behind much of the developed world when it comes to healthcare.

I do not understand the arguments about a 'socialized' medical system. The police are 'socialized', so are the fireman! Does anyone say sh*t about them?!

Healthcare is a right, not a privilege, this Bill did something but until the USA has a system like Australia, Canada, the UK, France or Germany it should still hang it's head in shame.

*steps off soapbox and gets back to watching soaps*

• Members

Renters/home owners insurance isn't mandatory, and is actually affordable. Car insurance is a state law but it's affordable for the most part.

Health insurance is NOT. I've tried to get it and the cheapest I could find was about $300 a month. I have a feeling this is gonna backfire big time. People on limited income's sure won't be able to afford it. Now if they FORCE health insurance companies to make it affordable, maybe.

• Members

They're not doing anything but telling us that we have to have insurance, and then making us pay for others to have it, if we don't get it. When I worked FULL TIME I couldn't afford health insurance. Unless they really lower the premiums and unless they offer packages under those lowered premiums that are worth it...then what is in this for me? I still won't be able to afford it, or afford coverage that I may need. And if I don't get it, they're still making me PAY.

People keep saying this "universal" and "free" health care. It's not. It's forced, probably samely priced healthcare for all. Most of those STILL unable to afford it.

And NO I am not a Republican,

• Members

It depends how much you make. If you make less than 133% of the poverty level, you'll qualify for medicaid (around 15,000$ a year) Have you tried high deductible catastrophic policies? many of those can be had for less than 75$ per month.

Well, if your'e rich, you just pay for what you need, you don't need insurance at all. Dental insurance is a bad deal, unless you have REALLY BAD teeth.

• Members

Being a Native American myself my family have always relied on the private insurance my mother gets because she is a teacher, rather than rely on IHS. Sure IHS is "free"(ie our federal tax money goes to it) but the services provided are pure-tee crap and the medical staff changes each month. While I'm happy to hear healthcare should become less expensive and more available to people, I am a bit haunted by the Republican critics using IHS as an example because it's true. I certainly hope it works because no one deserves the so called "care" of IHS.

Oh yeah I wear contacts but don't have any eye insurance either. It's just so much cheaper to fork what, $50-$100 for a check-up at an eye doctor at Wal-Mart than go to some private practice creep.

• Members

Health care costs will be driven down in part by adding new entrants into the market. As I understand it:

Those who are low income and qualify for medicaid will get coverage. Those who don't qualify will become part of a pool of uninsured and prices will be negotiated for them.

Those with preexisting conditions will be added to a 'high risk pool' and insured accordingly as well.

Small businesses receive tax credits directed toward purchasing insurance and can combine their workforce with that of other workforces and purchasing insurance as a pool.

Then there's the credit for families making less than 88k a year.

Costs are driven down in a number of ways. For those who can't afford their premiums, they'll receive whatever help can be given by the federal government and the penalty will NOT be collected on those below (I believe) the poverty line.

I'm insured through my employer to my eye teeth. I've had a serious illness (including surgery and prolonged recovery) and ended up with almost NO bill. I want that for everyone. Why shouldn't every American have that? What the heck else are we going to do with the money congress would otherwise throw away?

I just learned that 5,000 families a year lose their homes because they can't afford the medical bills they accrue and go broke trying to pay them. Ob-scene.

• Members

There are fewer car and homeowner claims (typically for a lot less money) than there are health care claims and claims by those who are accessing the system without insurance - which falls back on those of us who have insurance, anyway - we spent more than 2.3 trillion on health care in '08. There are some 6 million cars in the U.S. Most of those aren't in accidents filing claims each year. There are 300+ million citizens. Every one of them needs care at some level. If only a third of them seeks medical care, it's expensive.

What will also happen to help extend insurance to those who need it is the tax increase on top tier insurance plans for couples making 250,000 or more (200,000 for singles). Their increase is up to 3.9 from 2.8 percent (at least those were the numbers I last saw bandied about).

Archived