OLTL:Why isn't more criticism directed at RC?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why does the show have such awful dialogue? With some of the writers they have on staff, I'd think the scripts would be better, but I agree with you--I know often HW's set the tone for the dialogue (and have final edit) so RC deserves someblame here. The only major show I can compare it to is AMC, but that show feels like Shakespeare penned the dialogue in comparison. I especially notice it with those old, and granted hard to pull off well, soap cliches like character recap (when a character goes into way more detail in a conversation than they normally would do to fill in a newbie, or lapsed viewer). It's done particularly poorly on OLTL.

• Members

I used to think it was bc unlike the HW's before him, who had been in the business long enough to know a good script writer if they came up to them and smacked the in the face, that it was due to the fact the he didn't have the connections in the industry such as Sheffer, Pratt, or Guza, when it came to bringing on good talent, but now after the departure of a few talented people from his staff over the last few years, I just think it's pure inexperience to be honest. Who knows, maybe Valentini is to blame as well.

• Members

There's more "name" talent that's been hired on OLTL's scritwriting team, like Melissa Salmons and Courtney Simon. Both of whom are quite superb, at least they were on other shows.

But as I said before, I don't think Carlivati has long more, whether or not OLTL gets canceled soon.

I think Frons might toss him soon and blame the bad ratings solely on him, or Carlivati might even quit himself after all the mincro-management from ABC.

Something is bound to go down.

• Members

The show is clearly being overtaken by the suits, as virtually all the show's major favorites and stories or newbies have been curtailed or cut in the past year, starting with Jared and ending in this new purge. John, far from an RC favorite, is once again back with Natalie, while Tea suddenly can't get arrested, though that is not necessarily the worst thing on Earth given her last year of bad story (I want her to stay, but not doing what she's been doing since Todd's trial ended). If ever RC was to be fired, now is certainly the time. If that happens I hold out little hope for the show's future. The next HW could be good, but more likely it will be some Fronsian hack. RC can be a hot mess, but he also loves the show and IMO more often than not does right by it. Though it's difficult to say that in weeks like this one, where the Jessica High story dominates the hour. (I have a feeling all these "wild and crazy Jessica" stories are a Frons bugaboo, though.)

• Members

Yeah I really don't know who I would even suggest try to replace him...

These Frons mandates have taken over the shows--John, Ryan (AMC), Sonny, etc, etc. It's funny how writers change, the cast around them changes, and yet Frons or someone has this misguided idea that ratings were once high when they were focused on so they should eternally be focused on (actually I'm not sure that's ever been true of John, I have no idea how he's lasted so long--he's not even handsome in the cheezy soap way most of Frons' studs are...)

• Members

I think there are two sides to Frons men. One is the angry, controlling, self-righteous busybody jackass. The other is the passive, weak, bored type. Jason and John fit this bill.

I think OLTL could recover if they just focus on their strongest actors, people who can play anything, but Frons probably does not want that to happen. I have no idea why someone at ABC decided the show has to be John + Todd + Rex + Gigi.

• Members

Well Branco just wrote on his facebook wall that Guza is doing is best work and how great GH is so ?

I don't know what's in his peace pipe but I don't watch ABC shows much with the demise of Evangeline I was part of her fanbase that walked with her. I haven't watched OLTL in three/four years or so.

As for her being the "be all for African American women." As an African American, I didn't interpret her that way at all. She was just one black woman who I thought was brought on for Gannon.

I think she suffered from the writing and some things could have been handled more interesting in the confines of bad writing. They brought on a little backstory for her when she was w/John (her relatives then Layla).

I see a common thread running throughout ABC soaps. I just think with Frons' orchestrations at the helm what can Headwriters do. I mean he has the final word as their boss so its basically his vision / direction of the show that airs. I did get with Carlivati that he likes and respects the genre which I don't get from Guza.

Archived