ATWT March 2010 Discussion Thread

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm wondering if Goutman has been/will be helping out with the writing as he has done in the past. His work during the strike wasn't half bad. The intros of Reid and Chris along with the renewed focus on the hospital has been great. Chris and Reid are the new Bob and John and there will be a lot of conflict between the two guys. Why couldn't TPTB have done something smart like this a few years ago? The show is actually good now or, at the least, better than it has been in years. Too bad ATWT could not find a new home.

I think Lucinda snapping at Faith was a bit odd but probably has something to do wit the 'Faith is a druggie mess' storyline. I think the writers are trying to ram Faith's issues down our throats so nobody forgets.

Does anyone actually know the real reason Lisa has been so pushed aside? A newer viewer would have no idea that Eileen Fulton was once 'star' of the show. I'm guessing she is difficult and I've read how Goutman hates drama. His dislike of drama shows with every episode.

• Members

Playing catch up with some of the episodes I've missed over the last week and a half. Started with 3/11...I'm a little eye-roll as far as Cosgrove is concerned. Whoever said it upthread about him always being the son of a beloved couple is right. It was actually kinda annoying the way he just swooped in and fawned over by Bob, Kim, and Katie, and even Henry a little bit. I'm gonna need to see him in some sort of pariah-ish role first before I can warm up to him again. Next thing you know, he'll be the new Jamie Martin on AMC, even though he's too old.

*sigh* Reid, I don't want you to love Luke, I want you to poke him for ishes and giggles. That's all.

And LOL at Henry's face when Reid told him he's gay. He was mad at Katie for not telling him because he has a crush on Reid and didn't think he had a chance :(

• Members

They need to use Reid and Chris to do what the PG soaps should have done the past ten years, move the genertions up, using the younger people to explore similar themes and conflicts the show has focused on for years (instead of focusing on completely new characters family.) Reid should be Johnny Dixon's homo !@#$%^&*] son (and yes, I dont want him to fall in love with that little bitch, I want him to lead him around, screw him crosseyed, steal some money from his trust to start a clinic, and dump the whiney sissymary on the side of the road, to find his true love, Henry,or maybe the antogonism is a one night stand with Chris???)

I dont think Fulton is difficult on set. I think she was one of the first soap "stars," as a matter of fact, she created that role all by herself. She is a master of rallying her fan base to write in and pressure (she could have been Kim Zimmer's mama)and Gautman hates that. Plus, she doesnt realize that time has flown and Lisa isnt the romantic lead of yesteryear. Add to that today's TPTB dont know how to write for an older woman who is not a loving, domestic grandma..(see Lucinda.) There is plenty for Lisa to do without her having a storyline but who knows that the real reasons are.

• Members

i like your ideas but you know they arent going to put Reid with Chris. They are going to put him with blond bimbo Katie....ugh. I think Henry and Reid would make a fun gay couple.

And love me some Fulton.biggrin.gif

• Members

You had me until "true love." Frankly, I wouldn't want Reid to find his true love. A tortured, star-crossed romance that is doomed would be fine; but I, for one, would rather have Reid become daytime's first gay, or even bisexual, ne'er-do-well, someone who looks at sex as nothing more than a means to an end.

• Members

Tuesday, March 16 (because I can't stomach the quad)...

I've decided I don't like Cos as Chris. Okay, really, I can not stand Cos as Chris. He's playing Bill Lewis, and again, I'm not a fan of a n00b swooping in and having everyone fawn over him. Yes, it's Chris Hughes, but still, it's annoying. The thing with Katie is hella annoying, and it's not Katie who's making it annoying.

That said, I did love the Bob/Kim/Barbara/others scenes at Al's, WOAK, and the Lakeview. Babs and Henry HAVE to be the endgame. They just HAVE to be!! Let Vienna go find Simon's jock or something. It's too good to see Babs having fun, being a true romantic lead for the first time in a long time.

Even Hansis impressed me in that one long scene near the half with the break-up. Wasn't 2006, but it was pretty decent work on his part. I'm just glad these two cheeseheads realized that when you're TWENTY it's okay to break up. Now, poke the damn thang, Reid. Even though the dayplayer who beats your ass delivered his lines horribly.

The previews just ruined a fantastic episode. I generally like most of the characters, but at this point, I am just exhausted by Carly, Janet, Jack, Dusty, Craig, Holden, Lily, Molly, and their kids. Liberty and Parker are OK (though I haven't seen nuLibs yet), but Faith and Sage are teenagers written like four-year-olds. I haven't sat through anything with Emily or Meg (or Paul) in a long, long time, so I hope whatever they're up to strikes my fancy.

This show...I swear. It can be damn good when it wants to be! I think of the stories that could go along with the more enjoyable ones (Aaron/Jade, damn it! I will cling to the prospect forever!) and I just weep at how things could have been so different.

• Members

Again, I--for the most part--agree with your insight. If ATWT had used the younger characters (Chris, Daniel, Ried) and explored similiar themes, the show wouldn't be on death row. I get annoyed thinking about how much potential this show still has.

The writing for Lucinda and Lisa has been wrong for years. There was never any reason to pull Lucinda off front burner and Lisa should have been tied into one of the families years ago. Personally, I think Lucinda has been a stronger character for many decades; however, there is always room for Lisa. She makes for the perfect busybody and could have played a Day's Vivian-type role minus the silly murder plot storylines.

• Members

I really don't understand why "the quad" upsets so many people. Maybe it's just because I love Carly and Jack that I ignore the lesser half of Jan and Dusty---but either way, it's certainly better than previous quads like Paul/Meg/Ro/Craig or even the lame Damian/Lily/Holden/Molly. Aside from Henry and Babs, it's the only story that interests me at all.

FLOVED Faith's 'tude with Lily---OMG, not only was Lily a complete A-hole to Molly, she IS acting just like Lucinda, playing on "family loyalty" trying to guilt Faith into cutting Molly down. Didn't like Faith's transparent playing of Parker (OY, did that girl look completely wooden in her scenes with MH).

Carly's a saint---but not because Jack wants "cake" and "meatballs". Jack wants to protect his kid from Dusty--who's being a complete A-Hole. Carly's a saint because she's letting Jack take his time to remember his life doesn't revolve around his newest fetus and the woman it's attached to. OMG--her skeptical look when Jan started moaning and doubling over in pain was PRICELESS. Of course Carly's going to think Janet is playing Jack to get out of a confrontation about Dusty.

• Members

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am having trouble with it. It makes all the characters annoying. It doesn't really upset me or anything, there are just elements that bother me. It feels forced. On the real tip, Jack lost interest in Janet according to him "because his brother died", Dusty suddenly became interested in Janet because Jack was sleeping on his ex-wife's couch. The attention Dusty was showing Janet caused (I guess?) her to suddenly like Dusty. Janet sleeps with Dusty (after Jack [!@#$%^&*] all over the new years plans to go run after his ex-wife, who he seems to forget is a grown ass woman). All so that...Jack and Carly can have this happy ending?

I can't really blame Dusty, to a degree, because Jack made it clear in a plethora of ways that his marriage was secondary. Janet was wrong for sleeping with Dusty, but I don't buy that Jack and Carly wouldn't have done the same, if given ample opportunity. They surely came close a number of times, all due to Jack running behind Carly, who told him also a number of times to "go home to your wife."

Now we got Dusty laying claim on Janet, wanting Jack's (so we *think*) kid, Carly laying claim on Jack--all the while these people are still married, and unfortunately far as we know having a kid. So I am just like...??? It's just all such a hypocritical mess...and I LOVE Carly, which is probably why I just believe she deserves better. She truly loves that man, but Jack just continues to take her through the motions. He doesn't want Dusty laying claim on his child of course, but I think it's much more than that--he don't know what he wants, which is typical. I don't need them ramming Jarly or Danet down my throat--I want Carly to be happy, she deserves it after all the BS from this past year. -_-

Incidentally, soaps are trip sometimes with these babies. They act like because you are pregnant, you need to get married or be in some sort of relationship even if you don't love each other. I grew up in a single family household, I came out fine (for the most part), and let me tell you--my parents do not need to be together. No love = a bad time for everybody.

Archived