OLTL: SOAPnet March Preview

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely Carl. It's because of black women that I even watch soaps. Loyal, black, female viewers. And they'd be hard pressed to find women on their stories who look and sound and think like them. My grandmother (and her mother) were "Mamies" in that they looked after white children who loved them dearly and continued to have relationships with them well into adulthood. Difference is, my grandmothers maintained their own households, had children of their own. Another cast of characters, another soap opera to be told. I mean, that's all I'm really searching for. The search continues...

• Members

Yikes, Patrick scares me, the Irishman who ate recurring characters in Llanview. :P I fear that he'll cost us a few actors (hmm, well maybe if they start with Ford...). I'm all for Kevin, Joey, Cassie, okay, even Patrick, I'm just afraid that it'll be a bust.

• Members

I was the same, not in terms of background, but it was black female characters who caught my attention and helped me get into soaps. Jessica on ATWT. Gilly on GL. Mamie and Dru and Olivia on Y&R. I felt like they brought a different perspective yet I never felt like I was watching tokens. There was a certain energy and strength they added to otherwise mundane scenes, especially Gilly and Dru.

It's just strange that this is now considered too much for TV, and most of all for daytime, that we are somehow supposed to be honored if a black musical guest shows up. Is this like when someone would pop up on Ed Sullivan?

She was a part of the family and a trusted friend and confidant. That's easy to forget now because the time when the show came closest to truly blurring the lines, someone pulled back and poor Veronica Redd Forest was fired.

• Members

Okay, people.

Soaps can't afford to just drop their CORE characters (using OLTL for example: the Cramers, Buchanans, and Lords) in favour of placating minority viewers. It's better to have OLTL, for example, on the air with its classic characters than try to shoehorn blacks, Latinos, gays, etc. into the story.

Archived