OLTL: Dorian/Adriana question

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was pretty freaky the way Dorian brought it up when she and Viki were stuck together in the wine cellar when Asa Buchanan died. Nothing definitive was said but they sure as hell left it open for a "repair" especially after what Dorian had to say.

• Members

Dorian implied in the wine cellar that the Victor in '03 was an imposter and that was clearly deliberate on RC's part, trying to undo the horrible resurrection. After Dorian's confession, they went so far as to change the date of death on his coffin back to the '70s.

• Members

Personally, I think OLTL turning Victor Lord into a pervert was one of the best things they ever did.

Granted by the time I was born and started watching OLTL, Victor was already dead so I never saw the character alive (I refuse to accept the 2003 version of Victor was real), but just look at all the juicy material it gave ES and Viki back in the mid-90s.

I think it was just brilliant, however some of you who watched OLTL between 1968 and 1976 (when Victor actually died) may disagree with me.

• Members

I think what they did to Victor was a great move in the short term, a bad move in the long term, because I think that gave Malone, and later Higley, and to a degree, even Carlivati, carte blanche to make the Lord women all about endless tragedy and abuse. It helped cause the awful retcons like Mitch drugged and raped Viki in her living room and Niki took Jessica out to bars and Jessica was molested. The Lord women no longer have any real identity beyond being abused and reacting to abuse.

• Members

Speaking as one of the old timers who watched during those times (born 1968), and remembers little that I can understand until the mid 70's, Victor was only sometimes a cuddly daddy type. Mostly he made Viki's and Meredith's lives hell with his prejudices and snobbery. Especially with Viki, the 90's retcon was almost a "why didn't we see it before" kind of thing, a lot like real life.

• Members

Sorry to call you an "old timer". Probably should have said long-time viewers or something like that. :lol:

But the only actual scenes I've seen of him alive (outside of that 2003 fiasco) were in flashbacks during Viki's DID storyline in 1995, and the 1969 episode that is on Youtube. However, from the history I have read of that time period, you summed it up pretty well. I've always heard he was ruthless.

• Members

I think the 1995 DID story was also an obvious answer to the question of Viki's illness and her worship for her domineering father - one Robin Strasser had suspected for years, BTW, and suggested - and I think it was one of the best stories they ever told. It was and is incredible. It scared the [!@#$%^&*] out of me as a kid and I was stunned when Malone undid his own work for no apparent reason. I am glad RC then undid Malone's re-retcon, but I wish he'd left it as it was prior to 2003, with Viki having killed Victor and Dorian covering it up - that added so many layers.

• Members

Yeah, it was the most logical solution since nearly every case of DID begins with sexual abuse. It was great how the whole storyline played out. And ES was flawless in her performance. You have to think, at one time or another during that storyline, she played as many as seven different people....as well as characters who were pretending to be other characters (like Jean pretending to be Viki, etc..).

I also think Carl has a valid point as well. While it was great for explaining Viki's problem, it also open the floodgate for her children, and in turn their children to also develop DID as a result. And that makes all the Lord women look weak and fragile.

• Members

No need to say sorry. I am what I am. And proud of it.

Ruthless is maybe a bit strong. Well, maybe not. In later years, I thought Palmer Courtlandt was a good "homage" to Victor Lord. Victor wasn't as nasty back then but just as Erica was Rachel from AW, I thought Palmer was a meaner Victor in some alternative universe. (or just a bit closer to Philly)

• Members

ITA with you Vee about Malone undoing his own work and bringing the old fossil back to life. After Viki's ultimate DID showdown, he should have just left it as it was and move on. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And it's interesting to note that three of this show's biggest legacies involve mental issues.

The fascination with DID, the interest in mental instibility (i.e. the Cramer girls), and the obsession with rape.

• Members

And it's not just with the Lord women either....remember when Todd faked having DID to avoid his legal troubles? And, after awhile, Starr even faked having an alternate personality.

You would have thought that Viki would have viewed what her brother did as the as the ultimate slap in the face considering her own struggles with the illness.

But, after being mad for a little while, all was forgiven.

And I'm still pissed off that Viki couldn't forgive Tina a couple of years ago for helping Tess (even though she was being blackmailed), but yet she would forgive Todd for anything. I know that it gave Tina an excuse to leave Llanview (since AE was leaving the show again), but still it was a pissy way to end things.

Archived