Passanante vs Kreizman

• Members

What was dropped?? What was changed with the transition in HWs??

All the baby storylines seem to be gone now that Krietzman is writing the show. Looks like he ended the whole Emily wants a baby mess but he also got rid of Adam Hughes story for the

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought she was writing the Lily, Damien, Holden and Meg crap. Which is really the only storyline that is really not good. That's if she is really still writing it or not. I hope it improves soon. David must be writing the CarJack stuff cause it and the Bratie stuff is the only ones that are good. The Paul, Emily, Barbara and Mick stuff is ok, but it's only on once a week or every other week. I really hope she is gone and the writing will improve once it hits the new year it just takes time for a writer to get things together right.

• Members

So far I am not impressed with DK writing. He isn't horrible but besides dropping some characters (Vienna, Bonnie, Mason, Adam and the other upcoming exits) which don't add anything benefical. I really haven't seen him write anything good or amazing.

All the new storylines he has come up with are random or dull. For instance, Mick and the miracle plant, Nuke becoming adoptive brothers, Meg completely losing it and stalking Damien (although that is pretty enjoyable), Jack's "Highway to Heaven" storyline outside of Carjack isn't well written and some parts don't make any sense.

The Ghost story isn't horrible but really unless you like Bratie and Henry are you even watching that storyline? The 20-something set is almost none existence. Dusty no longer has a purpose except for hanging out with the C-sisters. PEM is only on once a week. CRo are headed for disaster.

My question is where is the pay-off or real change? Yes, Meg and Paul separated but rumors are that has more to do with backstage drama than the writers ending the relationship. Where is the actual storytelling? Because what I see on most boards is the viewers filling in the blanks because the dialogue just isn't there. Or really trying to be supportive of the show despite it's short-comings because they don't want to see the show canceled. Either way, I still see the actors and the viewers doing most of the heavy lifting.

• Members

You right about why Paul and Meg were ended.. He did get rid of Vienna, Bonnie and Adam. I dont think Vienna will ever return although it's said she is off for a couple of months. I agree about Dusty just being there now. But its better than his huff and puff days of Jean Passanante.

• Members

I'm not convinced the actors have meant Pissy's been demoted or fired. I just think they're talking about taking on an additional writer as Co-HW.

I'm not sure what to credit Kriezman with. Meg's repositioning as a vixen seems the most obvious. And I'd love to think the rapid sinking Jack/Janet marriage. I think it's really too soon to judge the Mick story...it's been on (I think) a total of three episodes.

The glaring holes on the show are the twentysomethings. Frankly, I'm not sure there's a way to make them interesting. Not with Alison at the crux of the quad, and Nuke has been a vortex since their inception. They don't do anything...and it's way too creepy how involved Hunter is in Ali's love life---even if he's trying to hook up with Maddie.

Lily/Damian/Holden suck---but hopefully the addition of Molly will liven things up a bit.

Even if Kriezman isn't a Writing God--anything's better than Pissy helming it alone. And ATWT has a stronger cast IMO, than GL had. Some of the weak writing can be buoyed by good acting. Ala the Ghost story...

• Members

The Mick story is David's baby. He wanted Phelprey in the role as Nick. i remember reading somewhere that this was his first story as HW. The 20's something dont really exist anymore in Oakdale. That's fine with me as long as we get more Vets. I think Molly will make the Lily redux story better but having Martha front and center would help a lot.

And I agree a strong actor can make a bad story look good.

• Members

Chris Goutman was writing when Kriezman took over. If you notice all the actors mention him, not her, when talking about who was writing. Now they mention Kriezman. Nelson has been saying this all along so I happen to believe it considering actors are backing it up now. I must say I actually thought the show was better before Kriezman got in the credits. I'm not as impressed as everyone else is. The show was doing really well and he dropped the wrong stories, IMO. In particular losing the big Adam umbrella story which involved so many generations of Hughes was a mistake. Now I doubt we'll see Tom and Margo in a good story for a long time. Bob and Kim? Forget it. For the first time in a long time the Hughes seemed to be making a comeback, but now it's back to all Snyder all the time.

• Members

The biggest positive change for me under Kreizman is I think he loves Barbara and wants to write for her. You can see this in not only Henry/Barbara taking a serious turn (if Vienna has been dropped for Barbara, I say that's worth it), and Barbara wanting to bail Henry out but Katie beating her to the punch, but also in how Barbara is important to the Mick story if the Mick story is indeed Kreizman's baby. Too bad fans don't really seem to have warmed to Henry/Barbara even after they became serious, because otherwise I think they would be becoming an item sure. I think Kreizman wants it. Hopefully that will still happen anyway. I like the pairing. I like the complexity of Kreizman's Barbara.

Another thing I like has been more intersection of stories, more family interaction, and less character islands. For example, Craig and Casey came by the hospital worrying about Katie too after she was kidnapped, in addition to the usual Passanante-era Margo or Kim scenes. (This greater family connection is true in general, except I admit it was jarring that for some reason, Emma did not have a scene to react to Brad's death.)

I also think he has gone all out for Meg being as manipulative as Paul, and I am not sure how I feel about that long term but for now it is quite entertaining. I don't like how it has seemed to weaken Damian though. Still, I'm glad Damian is still being portrayed as multidimensional, not just "evil."

I like his ending for the Mason story too. (Forbes March's dreadful acting is another matter.) People sometimes say, "Why are Luke and Noah in love? They were just thrust together." I felt that was already answered to my satisfaction. But now this story is answering that further by having the symmetry of Luke taking care of Noah, after earlier Noah had taken care of Luke when Luke was paralyzed. I also liked how Noah was portrayed as flawed and selfish, blaming Luke (sometimes Noah has been too perfect previously) for something that was arguably the right thing (exposing sexual harasser Mason), and how Luke's dark side was shown too when he went to Damian. Not a PC, only good guys portrayal of gay characters by any means.

• Members

The actors still mention Goutman a lot too. Goutman is still giving story previews, like for Jack/Carly in November. I think before it was Goutman/Passanante, now it is Goutman/Kreizman with minor input from Passanante. If it was just DK calling all the shots, with Goutman powerless, and Tom Pelphrey is supposedly DK's fave, don't you think the Mick story would get more than 1 day a week? I believe DK is a balanced writer, but I think he would give Mick a little more airtime if it was just up to him. Not frontburner, he'd know this is ATWT not GL, but more than one day a week.

It remains to be seen whether Bob/Kim and Tom/Margo will get frontburner stories again. Chris Goutman has had ten years to feature the Hugheses, it is not like he has been a powerless EP and only got to make his stamp on the show for a few weeks. Same with Passanante, she's had years. The Adam story was good but it hit a dead end once Adam was exposed.

It was not all Snyder under Passanante, it was all (Saint) Meg, or seemed like that -- just Meg.

• Members

I thought I heard that Vienna will be back, same with Bonnie. I thought the actress that plays Bonnie said she is not done and will be back, but that could of be a rumor. I hope it's not and they both return. The show hit new lows in the ratings all summer so could it been the writing or was it that ATWT had one year left and the ratings started to go down hill same with Guiding Light when it was canceled. I don't think David even wrote the exit story for Adam cause he was gone in September and David's writing aired October 6th.

• Members

It wasn't a dead end, the story had really only just began, it felt like a long-term story was underway. The exposure of Adam was just the beginning in my opinion. Unfortunately I guess we'll never know now.

Now granted I finally quit ATWT with the offensive Parker marries Liberty plot and the Z twins. Yes you remember the evil gay guy right? Well I did tune back into ATWT just to see Rosanna back and I found it not bad. In fact the show started improving. Yes the entire James Stenbeck story was a campy farce with 50-something sex kitten Audrey and all the one-liners and zingers but it was still entertaining. So ATWT has been improving since summer. I really hope Kreizman's involvement well continue ATWT's improvement and I think the show is still making headway despite some choices I wouldn't have made, like dropping Adam's story or Dusty/Bonnie. I'm just skeptical because I hated the last three years of GL really and watched of of my beloveds shows being written by one who held so much promise back in '04 into a death spiral.

Archived