Y&R: Eric Braeden and Sony reach deal

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I imagine it's not great at all for the other vets. Victor is the easy writing choice. They can just have him run over everyone, slur the day away, while everyone is crushed underfoot. They allow a huge number of characters to revolve around him because that means they don't have to make an effort. Even now, when he was almost out the door, we had to repeatedly hear reminders that Jack was as responsible for Patty (I don't buy it).

Now that they have the name which automatically makes their job easier, that means most of the other vets are either going to be reduced to his pathetic foils (like what they did to Jill this year, and what they've done to Jack for some time now), or his chattel (Nikki and Ashley). That's even if any of these people stay on the show. I would guess Jill, Nikki, and Jack's days are numbered.

Since Billy is the new Jack, I wonder if Victor will give him a pummeling.

I expect to see, in time, Victor become this show's version of the Richard Nixon robot terror thing on Futurama.

• Members

They could both add a lot to the show with the proper writing (Russ may be best known for a sitcom, but then I think Braeden's best known credit before Y&R was as a villain on Wonder Woman). Now that EB is staying that seems unlikely.

• Members

I don't think Braeden caved.

He likes the show and therefore probably took the cut (which he stated he's willing to) but I would assume that he had his lawyers do the Reilly contract and that SONY has to pay him for the entire term of contract now - no matter what even if he'd be "fired" a day after signing this document. 3 years of stable income, especially at his age in the entertainment industry, is sth. worth more than just the money.

• Administrator

Yeah, I would love to know the terms of the contract. If Braeden got a "play or pay" deal ala Reilly in exchance for the pay cut, I think Braeden wins that deal.

Also, I think people underestimate Braeden's star status. It's so rare that entertainment sites like EW.com or The Wrap covered this story so closely. The only other star who would garner this much attention would be Susan Lucci. Y&R losing EB/TGVN would've been a huge blow - losing someone who's been front burner for pretty much almost 30 years. When most people think of Y&R, they think of Victor Newman.

Archived