Charlie's Angels: Discussion Thread

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I...actually liked it lol The acting wasn't great, but I thought Minka was the best actress of the three while the blonde was the worst. I also like the idea of Bosley being younger and hot. The original show was shameless in showing off the girls, and I think it's a nice touch for them to do the same with Bosley now. I love Miami as the setting and I also like the Townsend set (complete with a bar, just like in the original).

The plot WAS dark and depressing, and I think they should have opened and established the cast with a much lighter story. I really didn't care about the chick's car exploding and then two seconds later, we have the other angels in mourning. I also didn't like how they hit us over the head with all of the angel references.

I think they got the general tone and style of the original, though, and that's the most important thing to me in the "remake" area of things.

• Members

No by the team who developed Smallville. The Bionic Women people at least had better credentials largely coming from the Battlestar Gallactica reboot. Here are their largely awful credentials (I thought Spiderman 2 was a decent superhero flick--but they only got initial story credit, not screenplay lol)

I turned it off about 20 minutes in. If you're gonna remake a stupid, escapist series, why try to add depth? The movies weren't great (the second one was terrible from the little I remember) but they seemed to at least understand what people kinda liked originally. Not that the original was ever great, but... (Sorry All My Shadows sad.png )

Filmography

• Members

No comment!

I do remember the hilarious interviews they gave early on talking about how they didn't watch the original and this wasn't going to be the original. Then why remake the damn show? It's gotten to the point where some pretentious type will tell us all about how they don't need to see the original "I Love Lucy" because their remake is about a serial killer who likes to mutilate redheads.

I thought the early Smallville years were a mess - at one point they decided to go to the press and give interviews mostly about Lana's new hair. Monster of the week never does a lot for me unless the acting and characterization back it up.

• Members

I have never followed Smallville closely, but I remember that's mainly what the early episodes were (while they now look fairly rickety, early Buffy monster of the week, mostly, at least managed to build on solid characterization, etc).

I'm not actually the big Gallactica reboot fan nearly everyone I know is (I guess you're far from one either)--but I meant, Bionic Woman (which seems to have shared a lot with the Charlie's update--taking a light hearted show and making it dark etc) at least had, critically, more solid credentials than the showrunners for Charlie's--whose only real hit, if you can call it that, was Smallville. And they left Smallville by the time critics started to like it anyway lol.

The irony there is it means it probably was mainly people who remembered the original--and who will find this dark, violent, reboot all the more off putting.

• Administrator

I enjoyed it! I thought it was fun. Then again, I love seeing sexy chicks kick ass in sexy outfits. There was a lot of action and great production values. I just hope there will be a little bit of mythology/serialized aspects since it's a spy show.

Archived