Diversity in Soaps: Black Characters, Gay Characters, Latino Characters

• Members

Viewers haven't stayed away from OLTL in droves because of black characters.

Black characters have not had a major role on the show again until recently. Only months ago. No wonder black viewers may be skeptical. If you only hear about OLTL through promos or word of mouth, you are likely to only hear about two of the WORST soap storylines of all time -- Rex/Gigi/Stacy and the sickness of Tea/Todd and Blair.

Black viewers rewarded Y&R with many years of loyalty. Has Y&R shown them the same courtesy? And has Y&R gained any ratings dividends from focusing on the likes of Amber or Adam?

It isn't even really about catering to black viewers so much as it's about outright contempt for black viewers, which is what I see at Y&R with this regime. If even KSJ is complaining, then something is going on.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Susan Dansby and Michele Val Jean? Are they the only 2 black writers on staff in daytime?

Days seems to have an Asian writer judging by his name (Ryan Quan).

I don't know what the story with Lloyd Gold is either, but he has been at 3 shows when they have had more diversity and he created the Boudreaus when he was head writer at GL so I just think he is someone who is familiar with and and perhaps advocates for diversity on his shows. He was one of the writers at Another World from 1982-1985, when there were lots of prominent black characters - Carter Todd, Thomasina Todd, Quinn Harding, Grant Todd, Ed Harding, and Lily Mason - probably the most diverse period of the show. He was one of the writers at OLTL during Malone's first time there with the Gannons and the Vegas. And GL where he created the Boudreaus as headwriter and gave them more material once he became co-headwriter again. Not sure what other soaps he might have written for. It's not really a whole lot of evidence, but I expect him to advocate at ATWT too.

Speaking of ATWT, it's bad, but when I heard Bonnie was leaving ATWT, I was surprised they were even giving her an exit story (instead of a "okay bye" or disappearing) and Jessica would appear, my expectations for ATWT have become so low on the racial diversity front. I chalked even the presence of an exit story to the addition of Kreizman/Gold to staff.

Oh yeah, about Jade, not only the Snyder/Walsh connection, but she's an ex of both Casey and Adam and knew about Adam being buried alive. She could so have been involved with most of the stories these past few months. I agree that the new actress has chemistry with Elizabeth Hubbard.

• Members

Are you really this poorly informed for such a long term Y&R fan, or do you just "forget" important details to suit your agenda? Tonya made it clear before she left that she was DYING for a story. That two years on the backburner she constantly was in the soap press, on Soap Talk talking about how she's ready for a story, doesn't care if they SORAS Nate to be 100, she just would love to work. She left because they refused and she needs to make money! Look at how her career has flourished. I'm glad she didn't wait for scraps.

With her current return, again, from the beginning she has made it clear she WANTS a frontburner story and is here as much as they want her. She said when she initially returned that she plans on chemistry testing with every man she's in a scene with. Regardless of whether or not it's a day player or Eric Braeden. She wants a love interest and she wants Nate back. That doesn't sound to me like someone who doesn't want to work.

ETA:

I read on SoapCentral (probably via a soap mag) that Chauntee said she's not being written off, just that Bonnie is going to have light story (as opposed to???) for a while.

• Members

I would love to see more Asians on daytime. I wish they had done more with Lien on ATWT, and also Penny Hughes's adopted daughter, Amy, who only made fleeting appearances in the 80s.

The problem I had with Henry is that he was dull and we never really saw anything of his family besides them wanting him to be perfect. I know there were rumors Palmer was going to turn out to be his father, but that never went anywhere.

The actor seemed very stiff to me. Then after he was written out of AMC, he was hired for Book of Daniel, playing, of all things, a 16 year old, when the actor was clearly not anywhere near that age. Even more awkward was that they had him making out with Leven Rambin, who WAS that age.

Eastenders has really done a good job in recent years with rebuilding their Indian/South Asian cast, which had been very poorly treated over the past decade. The Masoods are, as their critics (including some former EE cast members) have said, full of stereotypes, but the actors who play the mother and father are superb at comedy AND drama and have wonderful chemistry together. They not only carry their family, but at times they have all but carried the entire show, which otherwise suffocates in Mitchell yelling matches and general moroseness.

• Members

People was watching OLTL. & those same people put it down for what they did to the Evangeline character. I will never forgive them. They got black people but once again. Two brothers are fighting over Rachel. Who is this storyline is effecting but maybe Destiny.

Who are the gay storyline is effecting but Kish & maybe Layla & Christian, I guess. They got diversity but none of these storyline are effecting anybody else. They are ioslating them just like all soaps do black characters & others they aren't straight white males or females.

• Members

Well eventually, won't Kish effect the Rex/Gigi/Stacy/Skye crew?

As for Shaun/Rachel/Greg I don't know, the show has put some effort in connecting Rachel and Schyler as friends. Shaun's shooting effected the Cramer/Manning family deeply (Shaun has been closely associated with that crew). The only black character I seriously don't see being integrated well is perhaps Greg, Layla, and maybe Destiny.

• Members

Don't think she's left OLTL, I just didn't know about her. That makes at least three black writers on staff in daytime soaps.

About Henry on AMC:

I was tuning out of AMC at this point because my favorite writer Richard Culliton had left, but I did like that Rayfield/Cascio introduced Henry. I just wish he was not paired with Maggie because it put the whole Bianca/Maggie thing on hold.

They wrote in Reggie, but wrote out Frank Hubbard (or more accurately, just had him disappear) who actually had history with Pine Valley, so I would say that was a net negative. Rayfield and Cascio also dropped another African-American character, Simone's father Zeke.

About EastEnders:

I stopped being able to watch EastEnders on TV because I don't have Dish network, but I have been keeping up with the synopses. I love the way the Masoods are woven in. Sharing a business with the Beales, Tamwar as friends with Libby, and the groundbreaking Syed/Christian gay storyline. Glad they seem to be getting better response than the Ferreiras, who I also liked.

• Members

Rachel and Schyler haven't had a friend moment in some time, and I might be wrong but the Cramer/Mannings are def not visiting their close friend in a coma at the hospital actually they are all doing their own things. Fish and Kyle are going to be intergrated into the main canvas but what about Layla and Cris who have been on the show for years.

• Members

I had forgotten about Zeke. Wasn't he almost involved with someone? Or was that Marshall on AW? That actor played Marshall too right? Is it true the story w/Felicia was dropped because of complaints, or network fear?

The Masood parents have even won a few fan awards.

Archived