Diversity in Soaps: Black Characters, Gay Characters, Latino Characters

• Members

GL was, I feel, relatively committed to diversity, which makes its cancellation all the more frustrating. The morve of some GL writers to ATWT will probably improve diversity on ATWT though.

The African-American Boudreaus stuck around for 8 years, sometimes with no story, sometimes with more, but a nuanced, multidimenisonal family nonetheless. Remy the son trying to live up to high expectations and a bit of a hothead but smart, Mel the overachiever, Clayton the judgmental patriarch with flaws, Felicia the matriarch psychiatrist. Mel was integrated with the Bauers. Remy and Christina were prominently featured the whole last year.

The writers could easily have given Gus a white first love as a complication for him and Harley, but instead it was the wonderful Natalia Rivera and her son Rafael, with diabetes, who we were introduced to in 2007. Despite some fan dislike (though I always loved them), the show stuck with them and remained committed to the new Latino characters, moving them into the Spaulding mansion and integrating Rafe with both his Spaulding family as well as with the Coopers via his frontburner romance with Daisy and his being Harley's stepson because of Gus.

Then Natalia became involved with Olivia, and this only increased her frontburner status. Doris Wolfe was also revealed to be a lesbian, and by the end of the show had come out to her daughter and had a public date.

Also too, earlier, the Santos family, albeit a mob family, was frontburer for years and been neither all bad nor all good. Marah/Tony was one of the compelling couples of the last decade of GL, and Father Ray remained a part of Guiding Light to the end.

I saw some praise for ATWT on the first page, and I think yes for the gay characters, but I'm very disappointed with how the show has treated its African-American characters. It seems like there are great ideas which get lost and forgotten. Jade, who is related to the Snyder/Walsh family, has completely disappeared, even though there is such promise both in her connection to that family as well as in her recentlyfinding her dad, Derek. Others also commented on Bonnie being fired soon after she was so popular with Dusty.

However, Ben Harris is coming back soon, a reminder of when ATWT's storytelling at the turn of the century was more consistently diverse and perhaps a sign of hope for things to come, especially with GL's Lloyd Gold, who introduced the Boudreaus, now on the writing staff.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here for a minute. Outright hostility, perhaps... and one must ask why? When the Winters were FIRST backburnered, after about 3 or 4 months, the black fanbase started screaming racism all over the place because the Winter's weren't front burner. Could it be that Maria and the Bells are mad because of the committment theyv'e made in the past is not appreciated or respected? Perhaps they feel as if theyr'e being held hostage and threatened with the "racist" label unless there is a black family on the front burner at ALL TIMES. IT's quite possible that she feels hurt because the black fanbase threw her and her family under the bus after a few months of backburner status.... when this show as a whole has made the biggest committment in all of daytime to diversity over the last 25 years. She might be thinking... "If this is the way you treat our family after all these years, then F$CK Y'all!" It's worth giving serious thought to. Ageism is one of the BIGGEST problems in daytime (Poor Frances Reid!), and Y&R has NO problem there, considering a 80 year old actress is driving the bus more often than not.

• Members

I actually do think ageism is something of an issue at Y&R -- Katherine is a figurehead to mask the diminished role of the other women in their 50s or 60s. Victor gets big stories, because he's Victor, but Jack, Paul and Lauren are being phased out, and between the men and women who are left in that age range, Jeffrey and Gloria, who can be written out at any time, get more attention than most of the vets.

As for Frances Reid -- did something happen with her? DAYS hasn't pulled an Anna Lee, have they? I thought they were still keeping her on contract but she is too ill to make appearances. I know she never got enough airtime compared to her talents but they did use her fairly consistently in the 90s and the first few years of this decade.

I guess the way I see it is, if you give humiliating stories to black characters or try to winnow them out of the show, after a legacy of over 20 years, just because black fans complain about the storylines or say it's racism, then your commitment to black stories wasn't there to begin with.

MAB hasn't made ANY commitment, outside of a bad storyline with a constantly singing child, complete with well-worn foster care and drug addiction subplots. When Rauch and Sheffer arrived, things got even worse, with some of the most out of nowhere, tacky sex scenes possible, both involving Tyra. Then the characters vanish without a trace.

If those at Y&R now had some great track record with black characters I would give them the benefit of the doubt, but for the most part, they don't, especially Rauch.

• Members

Maria Arena Bell NEVER has featured The Winters in a frontburner story, not one, since she's been around. It's not three or four months, it's period and she's going into her third year soon. Neil and Devon have gotten "very special episodes." That's not a storyline. Nick, Sharon, Phyllis, etc. get frontburner story nonstop, but when it comes to the Winters, they have always got two episodes a month where tons of story is crammed in with no build up or follow through. It's like the writers are just throwing something out at them every now and then to fill a quota.

Then you have Olivia's return which sickens me. Tonya Lee Williams is a 15 year vet who was on the frontburner the vast majority of that time. She was well integrated into the cast (don't forget the Barbers are basically members of the Abbott family!), but her return didn't reflect any of that. Look at how Nina's return was handled. Also recurring and not featured often now, but they rolled out the red carpet to reestablish her character. Why couldn't they bring Olivia back to usher in Nate as the lead character? Fact is, they gave her nothing to do and you don't do that to a returning star, unless they're black of course!

We have nothing to be grateful for from these writers, as black viewers. MAB and especially Paul Rauch have done nothing for us.

They NEVER had anything to do. They were always C-List characters, the most insulting token black characters I've ever seen. When GL was hot they never gave Remy anything to do. Even when they had that strong actor in the role who had chemistry with Tammy. They were always the C-List talk to's until the budget was slashed and Remy was one of the few young characters left they could afford. Even then, he was merely B-List. And poor Mel, the talented one, was never given anything worthy of her talents in 8 years. I don't think GL should be praised for this...

• Members

I cna't believe your'e saying that with a straight face. The only character I feel are truly ignored are Paul, Jill, Lauren, and Michael. But Eileen Davidson is certainly on msot every day, and she's no spring chicken.... the woman is 51. I don't see Peter Bergman reduced in any way. And if Braden truly does leave, I'm hoping Jill will look FAR more attractive to the wrtiers. But I don't see Jeanne Cooper as some "figurehead", she's a vital part of this show, and considering the work she put in in the last year, you can't expect them to work an 80 year old woman at that rate FOREVER, Jeanne Cooper's still a strong woman, but that kind of shooting shcedule wears out an actor in his TWENTIES. . Older characters get far more respect on this show than any other, BAR NONE. Didn't DOOL have some teenage aliens in aluminum foil hotpants a few years back? While Frances Reid got stragulated with powdered donuts? Heavens to mergatroid. Daytime like THAT deserves to die.

• Members

They had stuff to do at the beginning and the end, when Lloyd Gold had the most influence. Mel marrying a Bauer and having a child with him is not small potatoes. But I agree they were never A-List. An "insulting token black character" on GL though in my opinion would be someone like Vicky Spaulding who just disappeared with no explanation. The Boudreaus were developed, with consistent core elements of their personalities despite multiple recasts, and entertaining, intriguing family dynamics. Bringing on a whole family, not just one character, was a big step. They are definitely not "the most insulting token black characters ever" in my opinion.

It's fine if you think GL shouldn't be praised for keeping them on for 8 years. In an ideal soap world, I wouldn't be praising them for doing barely above the minimum either. But they could easily have dropped Remy at any time (they still had Mel and Leah for the "token black" quota, and there were other young male characters too even after Jonathan left - Shayne, Coop, Rafe, Grady), yet they always did recast.

And compare it to ATWT where not only is there no black family, there has been no one non-white on screen for weeks, maybe months. But again, I think that will change with Lloyd Gold now on board.

• Members

If Thom returned and was at the level of other actors his age on soaps, I truly believe they would've continued to roll the red carpet out for him. I do think they were exploiting him and gay people, but the initial story swallowed the show. He got a lot of screentime in the beginning and it was only after they saw how poorly recieved the story and his acting was that he was dropped. Still, Neil, Devon and Olivia haven't been given one story to fail or succeed with. Not with the screentime Thom had at the beginning and the magazine covers and promos, etc.

• Members

I think the stuff with the donuts was all a stunt. By then they knew they were bringing the vets back.

I don't expect them to work Jeanne Cooper forever. I think they used her effectively for some of this year. I think she's a figurehead in that Branco and such can say, "You love the elders -- look at what you've done for Katherine!" and this give them a pass in how they treat other older actors.

Billy is the new Jack. They have said it over and over. He's taking Jack's role. Ashley's stories are ludicrous for a woman of her age, and I really think that she is just there because they had to kill off Sabrina. This story is so generic.

I don't think Jill is ever going to have a major story again. They will replace Victor with another angry, self-pitying male tycoon.

I don't know if they had any real plans for Phillip ever. His part of the story only really lasted for a few weeks, perhaps a month, and they rushed through all the major beats of the storyline as quickly as possible. They never paused for fan reaction. He was there to prop Cane, he did, that was it. It's the same as the "Ram" fiasco -- I don't believe fan reaction ever changed that story. It had a narrow purpose, mostly to shock people and to tell us Adam was so perverted, he would even pretend to be gay.

• Members

Yes Dyas had alien twins in foil. No it wasnt at the same time Alice was killed, and by the way she was never really killed and FR wasnt ever fired. It was all fake and She popped up alice on that island within a week i believe.

I do think Y&R is good at using vets, but i also think they are phasing that out. ED may be on every day, but is Ashley Abbott? And is the show commited to her character? Or is this more of a last storyline to deminish her role forever? Bergman's role has been reduced via Nick and now Billy, within a year or so i bet he will be on half as much as he use to be. Lauran, Michael, Olivia, Traci, Niel, and many other vets have been pushed to the side and ignored with no hope of it getting better.

It took Y&R longer longer to get to the point of a youth driven show, but they are getting there.

And i do prop them somewhat for having gay characters, but really id rather have none than have random ones with no ties, no story, and no commitment from the shw than what we have now.

OLTL is currently the most diverse show. They have gays, a lesbian now, AA characters, latino characters, but aside from Kyle & Fish there doesnt seem to be a real commitment to establish, build, and weave these characters into the fabric of the show. Even kish could be written out quickly. They are just being pushed right now.

Writing on soaps is awful from top to bottom. Soaps need to bring in more diverse characters and start writing them well. But they can never do that because they cant even write good soap, let alone good soap with diverse characters. its sad, pathetic, and there is no excuse. far to many are to blame. i just hope one day we get some fresh blood in daytime from top the bottom, inside and out, in front of and behind the camera with a commitment to making good soaps.

anyways, the worst thing is the regression soaps have taken. they were not perfect at being diverse back in the 60's-80's but they tried and they were far better than now.

• Members
This is the problem with the lack of commitment. I think Kish and the progress with their Latino and Black characters is certainly a step in the right direction but I'm not certain that any of these characters will be here 5 years from now if soaps continue to air that length of time. I think the writers are invested which is a crucial step but if the network isn't equally invested in these characters then we will end up in the same position. At some point, they need to stop this vicious cycle of indifference.

I forgot about the Boudreaus family but the fact that they lasted 8 years is rare and should be noted, not commended, but duly noted.

The success of Otalia definitely qualifies as a step in the right direction.

I forgot about the Santos family. They were Hispanic and the network did show a high level of commitment to Danny and Carmen by integrating Michelle Bauer into their story.

I thought Jade's connection to the Walsh and Snyder family would at least guarantee her more story and airtime. The actress who plays Jade was fabulous opposite EH. And there is no reason to justify how they've treated the character of Bonnie.

What's the story on Lloyd Gold? I'm not familiar with him. Another thing to note is that I think we only have 2 black writers on staff in daytime.

I thought about that statement and Y&R was rewarded with many years of loyalty from their Black audience most of whom would have stuck it out longer if they had just given them something worth tuning in for. Let's be honest, shall we? MAB has to know that what she did to the Winters family was awful but the problem isn't how horribly she wrote for them. The problem again is her lack of commitment. Just because the story MAB had planned for the Winters was a flop is still no reason to backburner Devon and Neil and Olivia. The Adam gaslighting of Ashley story has flopped yet did she backburner the entire Newman family? Phillip's return was a flop and did she backburner the Chancellors for it? No. She remain commited to her story and her characters. I am criticizing MAB for the poor writing of the story but I'm also outraged at the fact that she's put no effort in trying to recover from it either and that's where she went incredibly wrong.

Usually the backburner involves decreased airtime but the characters are still be featured in supporting roles in other stories. Why wasn't Neil given more a regularly supporting role in another story? Or Devon for that matter. MAB screwed up their love life but last time I checked, Devon and Neil both still work and have social lives. Why didn't Devon get a role in Kevin's story? Why haven't they made an effort for him to have a friendship with anyone outside of Lily.

I find it strange that a young man Devon's age has never dated any other character on the show. Why? He worked well with Amber and Chloe. He could have been used more prominently in their stories over the last year. They can't use the excuse that there was no role for him because I can think of several. Why did it take them bringing on Deacon Sharpe for Amber when she's dated a black guy before? She slept with Usher on Bold and Beautiful but can't look twice at Devon? Amber and Devon could have given us a much better story than Devon sleeping with a woman he thought was his Aunt for all of his life. They could have made a romantic quad out of Amber and Daniel and Devon and Roxanne. Instead, Tatyana Ali, a beautiful young woman and good actress is stuck in an embarrassing recurring role. It doesn't make sense especially when she has all of the qualifications soaps look for. She has great visibility in the Black community with a decent primetime and movie resume. She is fairly well-known from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air which makes her just as accomplished as Clementine Ford. In a perfect world, she would make the ideal Lily recast but that's another topic. I don't think MAB or the network would ever dare to treat a white high profile actress from primetime the same way yet this is the best MAB could come up with?

I'm not even going to address what they've done to Tonya Lee Williams.

• Members

I thought I remember her ASKING to be bumped to recurring because she had otehr projects she wanted to concentrate on. Even when she came back, I don't think she ever intended to have front burner story, Like Bregman, who doens't WANT a contract, I remember TLW doesnt want one, either. But as was poitned out above, OLTL HAS made that committment... but whree are the viewers? They make a committement, and the viewers stay away in droves, so THAT is exactly the reason they might be gun shy about diverse SL's. As much lip service and nagging the fan do about wanting diverse SL, when it happens, the ratings still tank. If the SHOW makes a committment, the fans need to make one, too to SHOW the networks that we are a viable audience.

Archived