GH: Doped Martini has Edward shaken

• Members

Doped martini has Edward Quartermaine shaken on 'General Hospital'

By Carolyn Hinsey

Andrea's attempts to silence Edward Quartermaine have deadly consequences next week on "General Hospital."

"Andrea tries to get him to drink a martini laced with digitalis to make him have a heart attack," says Edward's longtime portrayer, John Ingle.

Andrea, who is married to the mayor, is trying to kill Edward because he saw her leaving the Metro Court the day her husband's mistress was murdered.

"Edward has had a relationship with a very attractive blond and has a suite reserved on the same floor as the mayor's suite. He saw the mayor's wife leaving the hotel room carrying a rather large, unattractive handbag."

With the murder weapon in it.

"Something keeps Edward from drinking his martini," says Ingle. "But ultimately he does, of course."

Causing him to have a heart attack as he drives to the local carnival.

"Midroute to the carnival, he passes out from the heart attack," says Ingle. "The audience will see a shot of his foot slamming down on the accelerator full-force as he collapses."

And heads straight for our faves.

"His car does not discriminate," says Ingle. "Dominic knocks the boy [Morgan] out of the way and is hurt."

He's not the only one. Elizabeth, Jason and Lucky find little Jake unconscious. Max is critically injured and Kristina is missing, while Johnny saves Spinelli.

"This is some of the most exciting afternoon stuff I think I've seen. The camera work is spectacular. We had 250 extras and about a dozen stunt workers. Usually, our afternoons are filled with people breathing heavily on a couch. It was so wonderful to be a part of this. It's big time - and incredibly dangerous."

And no more so than for the evil Andrea.

"Edward's car ultimately comes to a stop against the Ferris wheel," says Ingle. "Guess who might be in front of the Ferris wheel? What an expensive way to write off a character on this show."

One Ingle is sorry to see go.

"The saddest part of this whole thing to me was losing Martha Byrne [Andrea] as an actor," he says, "even though she was trying to kill me."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/09/04/2009-09-04_doped_martini_has_em_shaken_on_gh.html

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since I started watching GH again, I've been very impressed. I know nobody will publicly admit it, but the show has been much improved. Edward is one of my favorite parts of the show and has great chemistry with Martha Bryne. I'm really sad they're getting rid of her, but they didn't provide any other suspects for this murder mystery, so there was little choice. It's a shame because Byrne has created an amazing character who had long term potential. Characters like Alexis, Mac, Patrick and Robin need strong actors for their side of the show. She could've given them the extra push they needed.

I look forward to more Edward!

• Members

Yes, I think GH is currently in a much better place than it was say a year or even a few months ago.

There's still a lot that's bad and the mob is still front and center. But the show has really stepped up aesthetically since the switch to HD, and they've been at least trying to use some characters that aren't mob related.

Not to mention, the actors that play Michael, Kristina, Morgan, and Molly are really strong. Mark Taschner is a genius.

• Members

The mob is still front and center, but it's actually well written now. I find the collection of characters more interesting than the days of Alcazar, Sage and Courtney. The story is good and they do seem to be showing the consequences of violence. I only wish Kate were still around because from the little I've seen, she seems like she was a good character. It's not perfect, but I'd say GH is neck and neck with OLTL for most entertaining right now. Maria Arena Bell is just the pits. Guza may have had some bad years, but throughout his career he's done good work as well. Unfortunately, he'll never get any credit for anything, but she after a few months of decent storytelling is hailed as the next Bill Bell.

• Members

You have to be kidding. Guza keeps winning the Emmy for best writing. How is that not getting credit? He is also constantly praised in the soap mags. It is the fans and the bloggers who right bitch about him.

Enjoy Edward why you can. He'll go back onto the way back back burner after he mows down these people.

• Members

surprised they arent using this as a vehicle (pardon the pun) to kill Edward... after he mows down the rest of the few quartermaines left (YES EVEN JASON) and then a week later nobody ever mentions anyone who was involved with one of them again... Guza style.

Archived