AMC: The Moving/Not Moving Thread

• Members

I asked DaytimeFan about the cheekbones before and I think we agreed that it had more to do with the loss of buccal fat as she's aged... and makeup. Minshew's got some crazy cheekbones too and notice how they looked less prominent when she got pregnant.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those 1994 clips do show her looking a bit different, don't they? Interesting. I figured it was more recent.

I hate to ask, but why would anyone guess brow lift over face lift? Or are we saying she had both? And what exactly makes her eyes look so "cat-like"? I know little about plastic surgery but not I'm pretty curious haha.

• Members

A brow lift is for your lined, saggy forehead, think from the temples and up. A facelift is for your lower face, from the temples down, saggy cheeks, jowls, et cetera. Depending on what your issues are, you may need both or just one. With botox and the overall desire for less invasive procedures with more natural looking results, many folks are foregoing the browlifts these days. Go to the mirror and pull your forehead skin up with your hands. You'll notice that your eyebrows will raise as well. This is an added benefit, and for some folks the brow lift will suffice and they won't need work done on their upper eyelids. Her "cat eyes" may be a combo of a brow lift, some eye work, and makeup.

I think '94 was the year of her most major work, but as I said, it's obvious that she's been well-maintained for the last 15 years.

• Members

She was definitely "maintained" before that horrid Desiree, Queen of the Desert storyline. When she was crying over Eric's coffin, her face was pulled back and lacked any expression. The only thing she could do was squint to emulate crying. Then the biggest hints were the blonde wig, scarf around her neck and cream cheese on the camera lens whenever they showed Erica in "Las Vegas." Combining several tricks of the trade to confuse the viewing eye about what, exactly, is different about the "freshly maintained" performer.

• Members

Here we go...

Facelift and nose job in 1994 courtesy of Dr Dan Baker in NYC.

During the Las Vegas storyline from hell, she was recovering from a neck job (which is such a hard surgery to do, it's basically a lower facelift even if you don't have jowels.

Since 2000 she's had a brow lift (which changed her hairline, it's still good but it isn't what it was) and eye work that I think was a touch too aggressive. The lower eye work (in which you separate the lash line from the skin, scoop out the bag and then sew it up again) was very nicely done. It's the upper eye work that was just a touch too much (you cut in the crease of the upper eye lid, remove a strip of skin, then sew up again). It was just a tiny bit too much of a tweak, but it still looks good, just not as natural as the rest of her work does.

She also, of course, dabbles in Botox.

She hasn't messed with her cheekbones or lips which is why she looks as good as she does.

• Members

I don't want to totally jack this into a cosmetic surgery thread, but it was no secret that Ruth Warrick had her face done a couple of times, and I think she had some great work given her age, the time period, and her geographical location... she escaped that wind tunnel look of a lot of those Upper East Side biddies.

• Members

How do you know so much?! LOL.

So the eye work is to get rid of "puffiness"? So her cat eyes are mainly due to the lifts then and not the actual eye work? And I'm assuming the cat eyes remark refers to the shape of them, right?

And LOL at this thread being totally hijacked.

• Members

I'm a professional and I just might have the odd connection here and there.

The lower eye work gets rid of puffiness in that it obliterates undereye bags. It physically removes them, lower eye work is one of the most benign sorts of cosmetic procedures, it almost never looks bad on anyone because it's insanely difficult to screw up.

Upper eye work is a different story. It's the reason she has cat eyes (which is the shape of them and that they're squintier, smaller, tighter). The brow lift is part of it. But not the facelift, facelifts really address the lower half of the face, not the eyes.

• Members

Nikki Finke wrote an article about Ugly Betty's cancellation and the impact Ugly Betty had on California state law to offer tax credits to TV and film productions. In the above quote, Finke mentions "new" TV series, however after going to the ca.gov website it appears the tax credit would apply to existing TV shows shot outside of CA, willing to relocate. I'm wondering if this had an impact in the decision to choose Los Angeles as the new home for All My Children, instead of other locations.

http://www.film.ca.gov/incentives/

Archived