DAYS: Question about families (Abe and Maggie)

• Members

In the old anniversary book I read that Abe has a younger brother, Theo, who was killed in the line of duty. That is the namesake of his son Theo, I assume. Then I read some about Jonah. They talked about Lexie's feelings for him and about his work as a vigilante, most of which I don't remember. I only barely remember as a fleeting character in the mid-90's. Wasn't he played by various actors? And he had a girlfriend, Wendy. Wasn't she also recast several times? I think Lark Voorhies and Yvonna Kopacz both played her. Whatever happened to Jonah and Wendy? Did they have any exit?

So Maggie had a foster daughter, Janice Barnes, who later slept with Bill and Mike Horton and was killed? That seems strange. Is Melissa Maggie's only biological child? Was Sarah Maggie's daughter? Where is Sarah now?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sarah is Maggie's only biological child with Neil Curtis. Mickey and Maggie adopted Melissa when her first adopted parent Bob Anderson died. Melissa's biological parents are Jim Phillips and Linda Patterson (one of the best villains in Days history.)

• Members

Melissa and Janice were both adopted. Maggie conceived Sarah while she was a surrogate, and ended up keeping her, Neil is her father. Mickey cannot have children, that's why Mike Horton was actually Bill's. Sarah apparently lives in Nashville.

• Members

Thank you for answering my questions.

Was it a surprise at the time when Janice came back and started having affairs with Mike and Bill?

It would be nice if they had Melissa come back briefly, since her son is on the show now.

• Members

Jonah Carver was called "The Pacifier" beating up criminals. I recall the scene where Lexi, who was a cop at the time, catching Jonah in the act. Lexi kept quiet while Abe and the rest of the police force were looking for the mysterious Pacifier. I don't remember if they slept together, but there was definitely sexual tension between Renee Jones and Thyme Lewis. Wendy Reardon came on later. I remember Tammy Townsend as Wendy, who worked as a waitress at the Brady Pub. Wendy had a son, Benjamin, who had a violent father. I don't think the father ever popped up, but it was one of those things that was hinted at over and over again.

While Melissa wasn't Mickey's biological daughter, I believe Linda tried to use Melissa to snare Mickey. Linda announced she was pregnant with Mickey's child and Laura quietly revealed to Linda that Mickey was sterile.

Originally, Maggie conceived the baby for Evan Wyland and his wife. Wyland's wife died and Wyland gave up rights to the child. Then it was later revealed Neil Curtis was the father after he switched Evan's sample with his own.

• Members

Melinda Clarke did not play Sarah. She played a girl (forget the name) who was the daughter of some evangelist/cult type person. She got involved with Scott Banning when he was SORAS'd way too early. They left town after that failure of a story.

I was one of those that didn't like the Neil Curtis rewrite. It never made sense at the time based on the history around that time.

Oh to the person who said Janice was adopted. Mickey and Maggie never adopted her. They wanted too but Janice's mother returned and wanted her back. That set off Maggie's alcoholism when she lost Janice. And let to Rogers getting the Emmy in 1979.

When Maggie decided to do the surrogate program it was a nice nod to Maggie's story as she had wanted a baby for years. It was a nice constructed story in that Maggie would have the baby for Evan Whyland and his wife. At the time none of the family knew that Evan had been involved in an affair with Horton granddaughter Sandy who had just returned to town too. Everybody warned Maggie that she would not be able to give the baby up, but she insisted that if she could just give birth one time it was all she wanted.

Of course in the end Maggie couldn't give the baby up and Evan and his wife had separated by then. Maggie fought for Baby Sara and won.

If I remember correctly this is one of the stories that Gary Tomlin inherited and hated. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I think that is right. I did not look that up. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

And the whole Janice thing when she came back was sickening to me.

DAys really pissed on 2 of it's long running couples around this same time.

Bill/Laura and Doug/Julie had carried this show for so long. Bill/Laura were written out in 1980 after Bill had the affair after taking so long to get together with Laura. Laura went crazy. Bill left their daughter and took off. Bill comes back in 1987 - younger than wehn he left town - and starts dating Janice. Then later we find out he and Laura divorced off screen, and then they had him have another affair and an illegitimate son.

Then you had Doug & Julie who took forever to get together. Finally find their way back to one another and then boom written off - fired. Then Julie returns to town in 1990 having divorced Doug offscreen and for awhile takes up with Victor Kiriakis and acts more like the old Julie before she found Doug's love than she did the real Julie. It was as if they were trying to make her as close to Alexis Carrington as possible. Julie was suddenly this big business tycoon. Then they write her out - get Doug & Julie back together offscreen again. Julie's business tycoon era is soon forgotten.

People get upset about Luke Spencer having the affair with Holly. Well to to me that is totally in line with Luke's character. What they did to Bill Horton was totally out of character. Bill was never the playboy type but that is the impression that most younger fans have of him because of the two Kate affairs and Janice. His character has totally been pissed on since 1980 over and over again.

• Members

Neil was one of the best characters ever on Days.

He was an early version of David Hayward you might say who was redeemed by love and never became one-dimensional like David has.

Neil first was involved with Amanda Howard but she chose Greg Peters over him. He went after the wealthy widow Phyllis Anderson after that for her money. While married to Phyllis he had an affair with her daughter Mary.

Then when that ended and he still didn't get his money and prestige, he entered an affair with Linda Anderson while she was married to Bob Anderson. In an effort to keep Linda from sleeping with Bob, he told Bob he couldn't have sex due to his heart.

Oh BTW Amello Linda was a great villain until they rewrote her as a madame in the 80's. Talk about character assasination. That Linda was nothing like the Linda that left town.

Anyway back to Neil. He was changed when he got involved with Liz which started out as just another affair when she was married to Don and lonely due to Don still loving Marlena. But they grew to love each other, and then Tony returned and claimed he and Liz were still married.

Then of course he fell in love with Marie but still loved Liz. That triangle was one of the best ever in Days history esp. when Liz accidently shot Marie when she thought she was a burglar. Liz had gone to tell Neil they could be together and didn't know Neil had married Marie.

I hated when the broke Liz and Neil up after taking so long to get togehter. But I did like his attraction to Jo and thought they would get togehter but they wrote him off before that could ever happen.

• Members

Neil had a story with Patch/Jack/Adrienne's mother? I never knew that. I thought he was gone by then.

It seems like the 80s were the big time of transition for the show, so many old characters pushed out and new people coming in, the main identity being completely changed.

I wish more of this was out there (I guess some is on Youtube). I was always very interested in what I read of the Greg/Susan/Eric triangle, and of Amanda, of Mary Frann's work in the role, especially the storyline where she thought she was dying.

I know this isn't on topic to what I asked earlier but could you tell me how Calliope and Eugene exited and if they got back together? I know he left in a time machine, on his own, but I read on Wikipedia that Calliope later said they were together.

Thanks for all these answers.

• Members

Jo was Neil's housekeeper. She was in love with him. They were really good friends. She was really jealous when he married Cynthia. It was always hoped that Neil would realize he loved Jo too, dump Cynthia, and marry Jo. But he took Noelle and left town.

I don't remember how Eugene and Callipe left. I will have to look that up and I will get back with you.

Archived