• Members

Somewhere along the way the narrative NBC and JER were portraying for this show changed. It was never initially sold as a “parody of soaps.” The supernatural element was talked about, so we knew it wasn’t a traditional soap but we were lead to believe it would be more in the vein of a Dark Shadows mixed with JER’s DOOL.

After a while, JER just gave up on that when he realized that was NEVER going to be the case and people were laughing unintentionally at his creation. That whole “parody” element was then the selling point long after the show launched.

Say what you want about him and for all his own issues, Tom Lagan strangely knew how to interpret Reilly’s DOOL material. At his own creation, JER didn’t have someone like that who could check his material and somewhat execute it in a believable way. He had all the power and Lisa de Cazotte was his workerbee producer. 

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It’s not Lisa’s fault the show ended up the way it was. She’s actually quite well-liked in the industry. 

She was merely stuck on a show where she had absolutely no creative control and was simply an executor of JER’s supposed ‘vision.’ But, hey, she got paid very well for 8 years, so it worked in her favor.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

It “ended up” great, lol. The DirecTV year was when JER’s vision became fully realized. I loved the final episode with Tabitha’s baptism and Theresa and Ethan’s wedding. The perfect ending! I just wish DirecTV had given it one more season to wrap up some loose ends and finish at an even ten years. 

• Members

Oh hell no! Firstly I don’t think he would have had the surgery that killed him if Passions was still going. Secondly, Passions was his baby. I would not have watched with someone else writing. Not even his protégés MarDar could write in his style, as we saw when they took over Days.