• Members

For a show so bad, what do you think kept it around for 8 years on NBC and then a pickup for its 9th season on DirecTV? Why didn’t they can this bad show sooner, especially for the way people dragged PSNS, people had it made up in their minds after day 1 and the first few weeks it was “trash,” how’d it survive? Surely being owned by NBC can only get you so far. PSNS had a loyal fan base and cult following, but the overall audience wasn’t big so I’m just curious how a show deemed so bad by the soap audience could last nearly a decade?

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Passions on paper, as a story bible, had many of the building blocks of classic soap: Its characters, families, future twists (Ethan being a Bennett, etc). The problem is JER never had any interest in decent writing or talented performers. He was a deeply screwed up Catholic with both prudish and perverse impulses re: sex, women, and anything 21st century and giving him his own show was never going to end well.

• Members

I feel year 9 just got so wacky and out of hand I'm not sure anyone could turn that ship around.

Passions did have some of my favorite dialogue of all time though...

Grace- "I haven't had thing to wear since the house got sucked into hell!"

Some of the actors should have gotten awards just for keeping straight faces.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Like other soaps, Passions had its fare share of celebrity fans from Julia Roberts who got Emma Roberts hooked on it, to Lin-Manuel Miranda and so many others.

Well Angie Thomas, the author of ‘The Hate U Give’ and ‘On the Come Up’ is also a huge fan and got a surprise visit from some of the cast members today at her LA book signing at Barnes & Noble...

Please register in order to view this content

And here’s VIDEO of the tearful moment she sees them...

https://mobile.twitter.com/angiecthomas/status/1096975356349665280

Edited by Riverdalefan1