Y&R: Week of May 18, 2009

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which is true...

:o

What's that, a bit of negativity? :lol:

But yeah, the entire show is lame these days, for me at least. :)

There is no romance, they have couples, but they don't explore relationships on this show. Not to mention, so many of these "romances" lack chemistry (Cane and Lily), are quirky (Kevin and Jana), and are toxic and emotionally abusive (Billy and Chole and Nick and Phyllis).

But if we had "Harlequin Romances", I'm not convinced that you'd hate it or be expressive of your distastes for them on this show anyway.

Again, they do not explore realtionships, they just give us what's on the surface and nothing more. No subtext, no nuance, no complexity. Blah, blah, blah...

• Members

I don't think Y&R lacks romance but I am not sure about the match-ups. I would like to see more cast integration, to see more possibilities teased. For example, the dance between Jill & Neil. Are they on fire? Not exactly. They are still a hell of lot better than Neil & Tyra. I don't advocate the kind of random chemistry testing that ABC indulges in, but it's important to have characters in multiple orbits.

Kay & Murphy are really adorable, aren't they?

ETA

Anyone here read a Harlequin romance lately? I picked one up recently and they are actually quite trashy, with somewhat nasty "heroes". Maybe Disney is a better adjective to description to describe couples like Lane.

• Members

They only "romantic" couple on this show. But of course they aren't without their flaws, Murphy has yet to be defined outside of being Katherine's mate/husband. I'm not asking to bring his entire family on the show or whatever, but he could stand to interact with more characters and have more talks with Katherine about his backstory.

Not to mention, Murphy is just there, they rarely play the romantic/companion angle of their relationship.

• Members

Hmm interesting point. Cane and Lily I don't care about so I do agree, Phyllis and Nick I don't belivee there is much to explore the characters just were not for each other in this capacity IMO. My hope for Chloe and Billy is indeed that they do develop a very complex relationship/dynamic but now that I think about it, that point that you drove home about the romance track record seems to hold true. I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't hold my breath

• Members

I have a new crush, which is also an old crush but read this and tell me you don't love Thom Bierdz and love Tricia Cast even more (if that's possible!)

Thom Bierdz, who appeared on THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS on Friday in a shocking twist, spoke with Michael Fairman for TheAdvocate.com on his return to the soap, his artwork, being a closeted gay man on the show 20 years ago and much more.

Bierdz is excited to be working with Tricia Cast again.

TB:

I adore Tricia Cast, and she is so real and down-to-earth. It’s like I told her when I was so down on my luck years ago ... when I was bartending, and I found myself doing so at the Soap Opera Digest Awards 10 years after I was a soap star. A lot of the soap opera stars were there and they avoided me because they did not know what to say. Tricia came behind the bar and hugged me from behind, and she was so happy to see me. The fact that I was a bartender was not the least bit embarrassing to her, as it was to me at that moment. And that’s how real she is, and I so appreciate who she is as a person.

• Members

The only romantic couples that I like on Y&R are the sweet Katherine/Murphy relationship and the dysfunctional Billy/Chloe and Adam/Heather relationships. Everybody else is in either an inappropriate age relationship or in a two women/one man triangle of which there are too many of on this show.

• Members

It was a VERY weird look. She was saying how proud she was of him, for his strength or whatever. I guess the actual dialogue was

And he went all Mad-Eye Moody on her. I found that very curious.

Trying to get away from comments on posting styles...but...I have been clear that I DO NOT like Lane. I do not see a basis for that couple. I do not like they way they are together. I find them saccharine.

This is a historical Bill Bell thing. It was often thus. Some of it had to do with shooting logistics (lack of integration means you can stagger the workday, and nobody sits around too long). LML actually achieved much more cast integration, at least by having many different character groups in shared space, like the Newman hub set. (Sob! I sooooo miss that company hallway with the track camera system). But Lucas-Lorie-Leslie-Lance, for example, had NO integration with Snapper-Chris, and these two had NO integration with Jill-Kay.

This was part of the historical "style" of this show, and it is not really anything unique to this regime.

That said, I also much prefer it when they mix it up -- even if it leads to longer shooting days. But I guess with all the pay cuts, the minimum concession they are making to the cast is short work days...and that leads to the islanding you're commenting on.

• Members

I read that EXACT same thing, and felt the EXACT same way. Isn't that an amazing anecdote??

I was NEVER a huge Nina fan. I really appreciated her in the initial trailer trash days...especially when she VANQUISHED Jill and Kay. But mostly I thought she was boring, frankly.

But I am really enjoying her returns, and that anecdote bumps her to a whole new level for me.

• Members

The article gives some interesting tidbits on who he is.

. The whole article is here for those who want to read it. Hollywood can be so cold, but it lifts me up a bit to see someone who went through hell come out on top. His story should be on Oprah!

• Members

I am no more good after this picture, seriously, I am too through. :lol::lol::lol:

Devon's punk ass needs to do some pushups and get in a fist fight or something. If they are going to keep him around, they need to make him a little more dynamic. Right now he's just a lovable loser minus the lovable part.

Jamal on AMC is also biracial, and yes, Tom and Simone on GH had little Tommy.

Wow, Eva Cassidy AND Lynda Carter in one thread, all that DC/MD love. :D

• Members

My original view of Devon was that he should be TOUGH. Cold, closed-hearted, capable of great rage. He has almost the identical backstory to Victor Newman...therefore, I felt Devon should be much like Victor Newman, except...

...Devon got to be redeemed a bit by Drucilla's (and later Neil's) love. Victor never got that...no mother figure or father figure. So Devon can be a little less dark...but he should have a dark wounded core we feel always. He should have a hard time trusting initially. His temper should flare on occasion.

But, you know, Bryton has done a good job when it was written. He melted my heart with Rowell, and he acted CIRCLES around St. John during their last confrontation. So, I'll accept this version. He's doing fine. They seem to be building toward some new storyline for him, so let's see....

Archived