Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Casthon, how could you! LOL! Engen was born to play Adam Wilson. It's all perfect with him -- he looks/acts/freaking sounds like a Kansan, looks like a cross between Victor & Hope, is totally believable as someone who got into & excelled at Harvard, has chemistry with everyone, and always brings it. I also think that Engen is doing something brave & fresh with his performance. He's playing Adam as exhilarated by his actions and that's extremely disturbing, which in turn is awesome for us as viewers. So many other actors would choose to show the "hurt sweet boy" underneath who feels all guilty. CE saves his moments of guilt and uses them very sparingly. They're there but there fleeting and he quickly suppresses them. Instead, he showcases the sadist within and that choice makes all the difference. It creates real suspense in the story. How far will he go? Is anything off-limits?

Adam's real motivation is clear as day. Victor and Jack emasculated him, and Adam cannot take that. He will risk his freedom, his sight, and even his life before he gives over his "manhood" to Jack and Victor. All the other men on the show can tolerate being Victor or Jack's bitches. For example, Paul this whole past year, choosing Victor over Heather in the Palin case, and now biting his tongue when Nikki traipses off to to the mansion to let Victor know about the engagement. JT, Michael and Neil (until recently) are Victor's yes-men. IMO, Adam's need to hurt Jack and Victor is unquenchable and insatiable. He'll use Ashley for now. If he's not caught soon, he'll turn on other members of Victor or Jack's families. Basically anyone and everyone he has the ability to strike at. Creating hurt for Jack or Victor is how Adam is able to reclaim in his manhood. That's why Adam is sexing up Heather all the time now -- it's not an accident that it coincides with Adam's plans beginning to yield fruit. And I don't think Heather is just some dumb blonde being hoodwinked by Adam. She pursued him and the only way she can see him if she goes to him. IMO, deep down Heather knows exactly what kind of man Adam is. She even voiced regret that she didn't run away with him and has done risky things like confront Victor while half-dressed. It's not the corn-fed country boy she's hot for, it's the bastard within. Matt Weiner (former Sopranos scribe and creator/HW of the sublime Mad Men) once said that "Women love men because they kill things." I don't know if that's a universal truth but I think MW is on to something, at least for some women. Maybe it's a primal thing, going back to the time when women needed men to go and hunt down dinner. LOL! Who knows. Women like Nikki, Ashley and Heather gravitate towards men with killer instinct for a reason.

Threatened masculinity is why men go to war and has been since the dawn of time. Sometimes it's called "honor" but it's really about manhood. The root of Victor & Jack's feud is the same thing. Victor made Jack feel like less than a man and the war has been on ever since. Jack won't be Victor's bitch (even if it means that Jack always loses everything he loves) and Adam won't be Jack's (even if it costs him his life). That's dedication. I just hope it sure doesn't come to that cause Adam is amazingly entertaining.

Archived