Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Members

I assume you know what happens at the end of tomorrow's US episode? This could solidify MAB and team, or break them to the point of no return in my book.

I'm a pessimist in all facets of my life dear, soaps are no exception.

And for one thing, I'm tired of being treated like an idiot by most of these "soaps."

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is no denying that Bryton has had some recent moments of real greatness. When he confronted Neil, post-affair, he was the only grownup in the scene. And he pulled it off beautifully, playing the hurt and not sanctimoniousness.

Again, this is a canvas that is too big and too sprawling. There are SO many neglected characters at the perimeters. The whole Winters clan suffers from this. Paring down the cast, OR improved use of the supporting players (playing them more -- even though I realize this costs $$) seems essential.

• Members

Yes, I know. I have my doubts about it too; it could be great and beautifully explain what happened since all those years ago, or it could be bad; depends on how they handle it. MAB and the team had their problems, but the show has been great for so long that I can't just suddenly start doubting them and will give them a chance to see how they handle it.

I must admit I was surprised. But didn't we all ask weeks before to have that mess sorted out also? Maybe the best thing would have been to have the writers deal with what LML did and continue writing without going back, but what's done is done... and now we'll see what happens next.

Just as long as there are no deaths in the near future, I'll be okay.

Y&R is attempting to give the viewers what they want. They may have their problems, but they're trying and mostly succeeding (if you ask me).

But the other soaps — I wouldn't want to view something that is constantly ruined by other writers. They all have their HWs for years and every day each show becomes worse, yet there's nothing being done about it.

• Members

I like MAC I do but that's in the back of my mind too. While I do believe it is very plausible that the character internalizes alot of pain and hurt I also think the actress and TPTB should play up what sparkles about the character so to speak. The only thing I can think of as far as Billy's perspective goes, him and the people that knew her before Chloe came along is in love with the idea of who she was and has been, but is there something moreor less there now?

• Members

I think it's more about the material than the talent, since they can write around limitations. I've been impressed with CE from early on but he's never had material which has been to his benefit. Billy Miller has had material which runs the gamut but hasn't quite established his character or helped him move in any coherent story direction. I can't judge John Driscoll yet, but he did a good job at GL when he was given the opportunity. MG isn't the greatest actor on the show, but his charisma and committment helps sell most of his stories for me.

I can't remember the last time Bryton had a story which would be feasible for any actor. Perhaps it's like the chicken and the egg, and they knew he couldn't handle a major story, I'm not sure.

• Members

This show is missing a real human element to it.

Bell, Sheffer, and Scott seem obsessed with adultery, mental illness, crime, and mystery. Now some of it has been quite good, but really, is this all?

Doesn't anyone remember the days when a simple conversation was the most riveting thing on Y&R, and daytime as a whole? This regime seems to love these hyperactive soap cliches, but they aren't dwelling on more human aspects soap opera quite as well. Stuff like romances, inferiority complexes, internal struggle between good and evil, and hidden lust that isn't too obvious to the outside world.

I need more of the latter, and less of the former for a while.

• Members

I agree. That's exactly what is missing.

Back in the day, even when most of the episode consisted of Y&R having people talking, there were great episodes. For some, that type of storytelling was boring, but it was what Y&R was recognized for. Then LML came along.

• Members

Yes.

You see, that's what I want back again. Maybe it doesn't need to be talking during the whole episode; maybe it can be half and half. But all we get now is plot, plot, plot, plot, plot. Nearly every scene is utilized to advance plot and we have lost what Y&RWorldTurner is talking about... we have lost all complexities, all private moments, all emotion. There IS no emotion. There is just one plot point after the next. It is done well at times, but it's still not, and will never be, enough.

• Members

We do get one episode like that every few months. I immediately recognize it by a smaller number of people appearing. For example, the time when Nick left Phyllis and talked to Jack all night at the GCAC. Or various other times when people just talked about their feelings and wondered where to go next without actually having to go anywhere with the plot.

Maybe the team just got lost between all the million requests. You obviously can't have your cake and eat it too.

Archived