Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ooooo...quite excited to have a new upload from Caloosavista. I haven't seen much of this era of AW (cuz I all but jumped the shark by then) but glad to have the opportunity to see some of what I missed. Poor Felicia, how many times did she hover over a man dying of a gunshot wound? But as Linda Dano once said, it's better to be the "hoverer" as they are the ones who end up winning the Emmy! wink.png

• Members

Hi, Zanereed,

Actually, George Reinholt had already been fired, and his character was gone to Australia, when the characters found out about Mary Matthews passing away. In the story, Steven Frame had gone to Sydney, Australia, to oversee business for his company, Frame Enterprises. On the day of Mary's death, we saw Alice alone in her sister's living room, placing a phone call to Steven. Unable to reach him personally, she just left a message for him to call her back as soon as possible. Then she curled up in an armchair, sobbing, "Oh, Mama...." as the scene faded to black, closing the episode. It was quite touching.

I'm not sure exactly what they'll find in the P&G archives. From all accounts, what little they did keep from pre-1979 was not well preserved or documented. I have a tape of the 1974 wedding/tenth anniversary episode, and it's been confirmed that the Mary Matthews death episode is also floating around in the hands of dedicated soap opera collectors. But apparently, P&G never even kept a copy of many historically-significant episodes, like the premiere of SEARCH FOR TOMORROW from 1951, which I also have a videotape of, but P&G doesn't. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they unearth from the archives, and hope for the best.

(I realized I had worded the first paragraph of this post poorly, which has caused some confusion about the timeline of events, so I have tried to clarify it better.)

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

It's always very interesting to me how long this whole back and forth went on. I have a Daytime TV Stars where Reinholt responds to comments from Lemay (I don't have the issue where Lemay made the comments) and he basically goes on refuting accusations that he and Courtney were unpleasant towards Victoria Wyndham.

Did you see the scene where Carl and Felicia argued and she brought up his relationship with Lorna?

• Members

I remember reading on a message board years ago that Reinholt, Strasser and Courtney weren't always nice to other actors on the set. I have never seen that confirmed or denied anywhere. But what was the beef with Wyndham? Steve and Alice were still the stars of the show.

Carl, thank you so much for posting all of these articles. Great reading!

• Members

The whole concept of VW's Rachel seeming in a different class than CF's Ada is fascinating. I wish we could see some of their early work together. By the time of the stuff which is more commonly available (a few late 70's episodes) I totally bought them as mother and daughter.

• Members

I like how intelligently the fan letters were written for the most part. It wasn't fawning over performers hotness. I wonder what happened to these kind of viewers.

I like the whole pyramids are triangles with depth. :)

• Members

I wonder how the actors felt about Margie Impert (as she did seem to fit a working-class background). I never heard about Ford's struggles with the recast. I guess she got over them enough to where Lemay saw her as a big part of the show - AW may have been so different if he'd decided to marginalize her as he did the Matthews.

It's interesting to see Lemay and Reinholt both say the audience is underestimated. Now people in soaps seem to think viewers are brain dead.