Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know how you feel. I grew up on AW and there's something about that show and those characters that.......they became like real friends. Not just family, because that's a hand you're dealt, but friends because you chose them. Who wouldn't LOVE to live in a town and interact with people like Rachel, Felicia, Cass, Donna, Ada, Mac, Iris, Vicky, Jake, Paulina, Marley. Lila, Kathleen, Cecile, Frankie, Larry, Clarice, Sally, Catlin, MJ, Cheryl, Amanda, Mitch, Michael, and so many other rich characters we met over the years?

And watching AW, there was a chance that any of them could return at any given moment, unless they were truly dead. AW was one of the few soaps where if a character was dead, they were dead, with Kathleen (and later Jake) being the rare exceptions. Whereas I feel I'm at home when the Horton Christmas Tree is trimmed, I felt I was with my friends, who I dearly miss, on Another World.

I'd buy it in a second! I've been DYING to watch the major (and not so major) moments of this storyline my entire life. Do you hear us there, ROGER NEWCOMB?!? I have a feeling Rachel/Steve/Alice would be their best selling release ever and the 1st to become a collectors' item.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Alice/Steven/Rachel saga is so famous and well-regarded (justifiably so), that I'm sure many folks would line up to buy copies of its classic episodes.We know to exist:

--Steve and Alice meet for the first time at Lenore's and Walter's wedding

--The 10th Anniversary show (featuring Steve and Alive remarrying)

--Mary Matthews' death episode (Good Friday, 1975)

--Various clips of the triangle from 1973/4, from Jacquie Courtney's Emmy reel

These, along with any other unearthed treasures, would be a collector's dream come true.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

vetsoapfan,

Are the 10th Anniversary show and the Mary Matthews death episode (which I also believe was the last appearance of George Reinholt on the show before being written out in May...?) within the P & G archive on videotape? I have seen the July 1968 footage (black and white) and Jacquie's Emmy reel (color kinescope clips) along with the September 1974 episode (black and white kinescope), but I was wonder about these other two. Thank you!

• Members

I also wish we knew whether Laurie Heineman's reels are available. She bought one or two episodes after she left AW, to submit - one where she was in therapy and another where she said goodbye to Emma or someone.

• Members

FABULOUS article, Carl! Loved to see they were all so very different yet had one thing in common ~ those broads had TALENT! I read somewhere that among the new actors who paid attention (particularly to Vicky Wyndham) was Dahlia Salem, who played Sofia Carlino. She absorbed the seasoned vets like a sponge. Alicia Coppola also was known to take a mental note or two. Both probably still have acting careers because of it.

• Members

Thanks for reading. I'm never sure if these have already all been read. This was such an unsteady time at AW - I'm glad they had these interviews, as they had one with Stephen and Linda a few years later. The vets truly did hold this show together.

I love Linda's work on AW and I can see where younger actors would learn from her, as she was so perfect in every scene, and so old school.

• Members

Walter Matthews who played Rachel's father Gerald Davis on AW and Somerset has passed away

Walter Mathews, stage, film, and TV actor, died of natural causes in Mountain Center, Calif., on April 28. He was 85.

Mathews performed in the original cast of "Equus" on Broadway in 1974 and recurred on "General Hospital" and "Another World." He was recognizable as the original "You can pay me now or pay me later" mechanic in the Fram Oil Filter commercial.

The actor made guest appearance on dozens of TV shows beginning in the early 1960s, including "Perry Mason," "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.," "Mission: Impossible," "Mannix," "Adam 12," "Emergency!," "Charlie's Angels," "Quincy" and "Murder She Wrote."

Mathews grew up in the Bronx and received his M.A. in drama at Ohio U. He made his Broadway debut in a 1956 production of "King Lear" that starred Orson Welles.

He is survived by four children and five grandchildren.

MATHEWS, Walter

Born: 10/10/1926, New York City, New York, U.S.A.

Died: 4/28/2012, Mountain Center, California, U.S.A.