Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

LOL, can anybody say Misery? I guess it was bound to happen, given that Felicia is a romance novelist/runs Brava/presents Breakfast with Felicia which apparently has "an audience of millions." Felicia = Oprah!

I have been watching THE best episode of AW that I have ever seen -- 5/25/1992. Lorna goes to see her sick grandmother to confirm her parentage. I just have no words to describe how much Alicia Coppola impresses me. Whether she's covering her grandmother with kisses or sparring with Carl, this character was Fierce with a capital F.

And then we have Jake & Paulina... finally. I am in love with this couple. This episode invested so much in their confrontation and eventual admiting that they loved each other. I honestly believe that the day the soaps decided to pare down/eradicate proper love scenes was the day the death knell sounded on Daytime's fate. Those scenes are not just swooningly swoonsome, sensual, romantic and tender, they established this couple's identity as a twosome. That love scene will always be referred to as that moment when they knew they couldn't live without each other, etc.

• Members

Paul Michael Valley spent the decade after leaving AW auditioning for just about every soap role that came down the pike, on both coasts. I'm mystified as to why he never got cast. Maybe it was the "personal demons" quartermainfan alluded to. It's a pity, I thought he was great as Ryan, a classic soap hero.

That storyline with Felicia in the attic was dreadful ... and interminable.

I'm so glad you're enjoying Jake & Paulina, Cat. They are one of my all-time favorite soap couples. It pissed me off that they were thrown over in favor of Jake & Vicky, and Paulina was saddled with dull nice-guy Joe.

• Members

Their chemistry really leaps off the screen, teplin. I know I sound silly talking about it, but after being starved of any pairing with even an iota of chemistry on soaps currently, I can't believe how much Tom Eplin and Judi Evans have together (although the rumor mill suggests that they hated each other. Not if the fact Eplin keeps slipping her tongue is any indication! Sorry to be crude, but it's obvious he was doing that to tease Evans). I had forgotten that this kind of chemistry is what soaps used to actively cultivate.

I don't plan on checking out Jake & Vicky the Redux. Perhaps if Anne Heche had still been playing Vicky, I could imagine the chemistry between her and Tom Eplin... but after seeing J&P, what a pity TIIC caved into backstage agendas.

• Members

I know Linda really enjoyed the story, although some of that was due to her frustration over Felicia being on the backburner for a lot of 1994.

What did you think of Felicia and Marshall? I know it was killed because of fears. Did they have any chemistry?

• Members

An acquaintance of mine was one of the Marshalls but he didn't get to do much. We've never had the chance to sit down and really dish AW but honestly I don't think he'd have much to share. I really like the idea of Felicia and Marshall, Linda and Randy Brooks looked great together. I remember someone saying that Linda looked like she barely kissed back when they smooched but I really don't want to think too much about the wherefores and whys of that. Would have to see it for myself.

• Members

There were so many thankless Marshalls. I think they only kept the character around as long as they did for tokenism, which was a shame. The same was true for his daughter Dana. I think after Brooks, someone played him for a while, and then Dean Irby, very briefly.

• Members

Personally, I don't think they did. Felicia/Marshall was a bold idea, but it needed an actor who was as dynamic as Linda Dano to make it work. Randy Brooks, IMO, just came across too "weak" of an actor, presence-wise, to make genuine sparks between the two of them.

• Members

Sofia would have been very good. Based on her work on Ryan's Hope as the bitchy soap opera actress, I think Ellen Barber could have been too.

The show seemed to have Rachel go back and forth with her art -- it stopped for years then came back around 1993 or 1994. Then suddenly showed up again a few more times in 98 (she was in her studio when she killed Nikos; then she did a bust of Jordan Stark). Sometimes I wonder if Victoria asked them to let her do it again.

I have some interviews with the Randolph kids I will type up. I still don't understand why they only had Michael stay around for a relatively short around of time as an adult.